a painful funny

Edd13

it wasn't that funny when it happend, but now it kind of is ....
i was cleaning up the kitchen area and I lost my blance near my nano and braced myself on it ... 3 of my fingers went into the water and one found mister black long spined urchin ... OUCH!!!:chomp:

it's been over an hour the swelling is going down but still hurts more than a wasp sting... I still got a black spot where it broke skin... sigh:eek:

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
If there is a black spot where the entry point is, there may be a piece of the spin still under your skin. Sorry to hear that.

BoomerD

I've been spined many times over the years, and even "stung" by urchins without even being punctured by them...YES, it's possible:

UrchinsII

"Oh, one more time for emphasis, you don't have to be punctured to be envenomed, just touched, okay?"

I still have bits of urchin spine in my fingers and toes. Stepped on a spine on one of the beaches in Maui several years back...I knew as soon as it happened what it was...

There are lots of home remedies for urchin stings, from soaking the affected part in urine to soaking it in vinegar to help dissolve the spine. None ever worked for me. IF you decide to try to dig it out, be aware that they will dig themselves in further and further everytime you move the fingers or touch them...NOT a pleasant thing.

funkpolice

After we went snorkeling in Maui, and saw how many urchins there were, I'm wearing those stupid looking boot things any time I go in the ocean. One spot we went had about 75%of the bottom covered with huge black urchins.
bill

BoomerD

After we went snorkeling in Maui, and saw how many urchins there were, I'm wearing those stupid looking boot things any time I go in the ocean. One spot we went had about 75%of the bottom covered with huge black urchins.
bill

yep...the spine in the foot was a quick reminder to me that there are lots of urchins in Hawaii, and that even a quick casual stroll in the surf can getcha...I wear water shoes 99% of the time I'm in the ocean, in part because of the lava, in part because of things you may step on.

BoomerD

... and you've tried all the remedies you listed? ALL of them????:surrender: :drunk: :barf:

and many others as well...:p

If you get spined badly enough, you'll try almost anything for relief.

I can't imagine how a bad jellyfish sting can be. The box jelly can kill you, or make you wish you were dead...

funkpolice

have you seen those really small jellyfish that are deadly? They are only the size of a corn kernal, but one sting can kill you.
bill

BoomerD

Yeah, those are the box jellies. They can be found in Hawaii certain times of the year, but mostly in the Indo-Pacific...Australia gets invasions of them.

Kate

Is it true, that fire coral can feel like jellyfish stings? I was thinking about buying a tiny piece for my nano, until I read that!

burning2nd

Remember Reef tanks are a dangerous place. Where were your gloves ?

im thinking its a good that there was no gloves... gloves might have had cleaning stuff on them... and then right in to the water with the cleaning stuff..

ahhhhh glad to see your ok....

cant emagine what it would feel like to step on one, in the water or brush ageainst one out in the ocean.... might be in trouble if that happen?

burning2nd

just an old spanish secret, pee on your toes in the shower for atholet foot... or stinky feet...

takes months, but works good.
back 2 reefing,

lcstorc

Hopefully had he been wearing gloves they would have been set aside for aquarium use only. With that said, during this king of accident there was no way gloves would have helped.