A New Coral For Me !

KimPossible

I got my first LPS yesterday. It is a gorgeous Torch specimen.
Here are a couple pics.
Torch.jpg

and this one.....I can clearly see that the tissue here is dead. I seem to remember it having tentacles....I may have accidently smooshed them during the mounting.
Torch_2.jpg
If I damage one polyp, will it repair and re grow? If the tissue in one polyps decays, does it affect all the others. This is my first LPS, so any information what so ever is greatly appreciated.
:bigbounce

Kensn

Well I still see a few little green tips in that section, it might extend again, but one bad head wont effect the rest of the coral. It is a beauty, nice size you have there!!

Ken

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
BEAUTIFUL colony Kim!! Great find! It looks great. I wouldn't worry about the skeleton head unless you see brown jelly like stuff around tissue (which I don't see).

tmc

looks nice, i accidently sucked up a piece of my torch in my new canister vac when cleaning the tank, i should really pay more attention. it is starting to grow back and it never really affected the rest of it.
tmc

KimPossible

Thanks for the comments!
Brown jelly....any other signs I should be looking for as far as decline goes?
My LFS said I should feed phytoplankton once a week, which I already keep up on (live phyto) because of all my filter feeders.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have never 'fed' my euphylias on purpose but i've seen them eat tiny pieces of my homemade mush that happened to fall on their tenticles.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Did any of the tissue tear off ? If not I wouldn't worry, it should extend eventually and like Ken mentioned you can still see some of the tips so it's a good sign.

It looks awesome and now I'm jealous :)

KimPossible

Thanks Cheeks :)
I'm not sure any tissue tore off. I think maybe I just smooshed it. I'll be watching for extention.

Craig Manoukian

Sweet lookin' addition Kim!

It looks completely dead to me and you can always use a Dremel tool to remove the dead head (not to be confused with Jerry Garcia fans of course). Another option is to mount it so you can't see the missing polyps.

KimPossible

Yeah Greg, I got it from Skip....they have really beefed up on their coral stock. I'm really interested in the Purple Pagoda they have.

Craig, I will cut it off with a pair of bone cutters, I read that their skeleton is porous and easy to break off. I hope so; I tried to mount it as securely as I could because I have it sitting at an angle.

Thanks Gina :)

Has anyone seen Tubipora with no pinnules (Organ-pipe coral).
This is something else that I have been looking around for a while for.
I did a google online and didn't find anyone selling it.

KimPossible

I'm looking for the white waxy looking ones, their polyps look similar to those of Alveopora. I'm searching for a pic.....

KimPossible

I dunno, its hard to tell if any of those pics are what I'm looking for. I really need to see the polyps closely......Doni, do you have Corals by Julian Sprung? Check out pg. 153. The top right pic. WOW! :drooool: I would sooooo love to have those in my tank.