a growing upsetness

The more I think about what I'm doing, the more it sort of upsets me. I own a fish that was (most likely) taken from its natural habitat, where it has its natural place, shipped across the world, transferred to different shipping boxes and bags before arriving at the LFS where it sits in a world its never seen before. The fish sits there in a tiny glass cube. Then I buy it and put it in my own glass cube. It all seems sort of terrible to me. Even if I try my absolute best to keep a fish happy and healthy, it still went through hell to even get to the LFS (If it even makes it there...) Now that I have a job in an LFS it really depresses me to see some of the new fish come in and end up sick and dieing the next few days.

Overall, I am glad I get to try to recreate a part of the world most people never really see. I just wish we didn't have to take things from where they belong.

TerriW

I'm a newbie as of July of this year. I have recently had my first loss, 2 astrea snails, not sure why. I haven't killed a coral or fish yet. I tend to my tank daily, do water changes weekly, and accused by my boyfriend of spend more time "watching the box" than with him. I am constantly on this board, as well as many other boards and website researching about my tank and the hobby in general, to make sure my creatures are as happy and healthy as can be. Not all newbies are stupid, ignorant, uncaring and made of money (to replace all the stuff we kill). I truly care for all of the inhabitants of my tank. I have taken/appreciated vast amounts of advice and knowledge from this board and will continue to do so. Please don't judge, its just not fair.

If you are going to ask about my snails? My water is fine and tested regularly, and I don't use tap water, I mix it myself with RO water.

Terri

OneLove87

I completely agree with what you are saying. I will even admit that i have been that person earlier in my hobbyist career. But once losing those fish i did feel guilt especially when those livestock were my favorite. After purchasing those fish back. I have tried my best to make sure i keep up with my fish tank. I understand that many of u might not be happy with what happen to me early in my hobby and i dont blame you, but sometimes u need to do those things to really make u understand what is really needed to be in this hobby

So please will someone take me under their wing

burning2nd

my longest thread yet :)

its good to know that at least there are some good people out there...

IMO its not the price or rareness of a specimen, its the longevity... fish and coral live a long long long time..

as long as your putting your heart in to it.. and not how bad you want to show off (yes yes i see thur you) its all good... humans have done already unrecoverable damage to our tank

everyone who took the time to read this and comment, BIg up your self.... proper respect 2 u

SiNNeR

I assume you own a tank, so you have them captured and controlled (which I can't understand how that, in itself, is not abuse). Aren't we really discussing degrees of "wrong".

Just meant as an eye opener, none of us are without sin. Don't kid yourself, we all are harming our creatures even if it's just taking them away from the huge ocean they should be calling home, and in most cases we are reducing their life expectancy. Anyone think it's easy to reproduce real reef conditions exactly?

I'm not sure as the captor and controller I have any right to judge the next guy, it would be a little hypocritical don't you think. I might let the next guy know what I think, but it's his/her decision to make and live with. You are wrong it IS the person's life to live what you are referring to is, what I called their conscience.

There are plenty of posts and threads and even an off button on the computer, don't let it get to you.

I hope nobody takes offense, I'm just offering up a different point of view.

It's a hobby, relax and enjoy it.

+1 on the various degree's of "wrong"

its that little voice in my head that says,
hey, i better do the best i can to even come close to where these little crit's should be..