A good sump pump??

Maxx

Craig,
it shouldnt because the water from the tank TO the sump has to get to the tank in the first place. So if you're reducing the flow that reaches the tank, you're simultaneously reducing the drainage down to the sump. You're just allowing the pump to run normally, just in a smaller circle so to speak.
If your tank won't overflow from the pumps output in the first place, it wont overflow here. Make sense??
Nick

addict

I'm currently running a Mag5 for the sump return on my 55g, and have a Mag9.5 for the new 120g. They're awesome little pumps and work forever with little maintenance.

I've been under the impression that adding a ball valve to the flow side of a pump didn't hurt it, since the flow restriction basically mimiced running the pump at a higher head pressure.
I also read (I believe in the Aquatic Ecosystems catalog) that centrifugal pumps actually use less power when running at higher head pressures, though I'm unsure of the physics behind it.

openbrain

Nick, thats a wicked good idea..... That is probably the best idea I've seen in a long time to regulate water flow...... I'd give you kudos but I don't know how..... :rolleyes:

Maxx

Originally posted by openbrain
Nick, thats a wicked good idea..... That is probably the best idea I've seen in a long time to regulate water flow...... I'd give you kudos but I don't know how..... :rolleyes:
Thanks, but I'd be lying if I took credit for it.....
I don't recall where exactly I saw it originally, but I like it too...
Nick

mps9506

Originally posted by Maxx
There is a way to run non pressure rated pumps w/ a ball valve to regulate flow, that wont hurt/damage the pump.
If you look at the image below, the red circle is a ball valve that regulates the flow returning to the tank, and the the green is a ball valve that returns water to the sump. Lets say you have a pump that is too powerful for your tank, closing the red valve down will decrease the flow to the tank, and increase pressure on the pump, opening the green will decrease the pressure at the pump, and will increase the flow back to the sump, (where it can be picked back up by the pump, basically creating a closed loop for your sump).
On the other hand, closing the green will cause increased pressure at the red valve, which can be released by opening it up.
Make sense???
Nick

:D Thats the setup I use to mix my SW and fill SW containers up without spilling stuff everywhere.
Mike

mps9506

Originally posted by dougie
Thank You all

I knew that I was better off here
than my LFS

Thanks again

You gotta be kidding me:confused:
There's no good LFS's in LA???? Heck, at least you got all the internet mail order places in your backyard...
Mike