A good sump pump??

dougie

I'm just starting to setup my project (a 80gal) I want it to be
my first DIY tank setup.

the measurements are 36Lx24Hx15D

I would like some good recomendations
for a pump to work my sump.

I was looking at a blue line aqua pump HD40
has anybody use one before and how do they work?

I will appriciate any comments or suggestions : :) :)

Thank You

Dougiee

ScottT1980

Do you want an internal or an external (or do you really know)? I have just made the switch to the Mag pumps and they seem to work really well for me. I think as long as you stay away from the RIOs, you will be alright...

Take er easy
Scott T.

Gina

RS STAFF
We use the Mag pump also. Have found them to be reliable. Ours is a 950 for a 46g.

Gina

RS STAFF
Our Mag pump sits in the sump and returns water from the sump up a tube behind the tank and then back into the tank. My BF rigged this up using PVC? piping and flexable hose that he got from the Home Depot.

dougie

I'm going to look into the Mag pumps
now.
since they seem to work for you guys :)
oh! a Q's
where is a good place to find one?

Thank you

Gina

RS STAFF
Either at your LFS or try one of our sponsors! I'm sure one of them would have one. If, you just can't find a place anywhere them PM me or even one of the other members and maybe we could get one for you and ship it to you. But, I would think you would be able to find it.

dougie

Thank you Gina
I really appriciate it

I don't think I'm going to trust my lfs
there are the ones that told me, that a skilter
was the best filter for a saltwater aquarium :mad:

RanRoc

I believe I bought my Mag 9.5 from Champion Lighting and Supply online. It works great on my 55g. I have a ball valve hooked up to it and it's only open about a 1/4 of the way, but still provides great flow to my tank. When you install it, also install a gate valve and a ball valve. You'll open up the ball valve all the way and fine tune it with the gate valve, that way when you have to turn off the water flow (for whatever reason) you can just shut the ball valve without losing the desired flow rate when it comes back on.
HTH
-RY

Craig Manoukian

It is ultimately desirable to have your overflow rate equal to your return pump rate so there is less heat from the pump, increases with flow restriction, and extends the life of the pump. Do your research and engineer it properly.

I didn't do this in the beginning and now that my Mag 7 equals my overflow from the display the pump runs quiter, cooler, and there is no time wasted waiting for the sump and display tank levels to stabilize due the imprecise adjustment through the ball valve. JME.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

I don't know this for sure - but I always understood that you weren't supposed to put a valve after Mag pumps as it will decrease their life and they're not really pressure pumps and it's not a good way to run them.

That's what I've heard more than know ... so take it as that.

I have a little giant external which I'm really happy with. Not perfectly silent - but yet works well, doesn't add heat to the tank [as submersibles and some really quiet externals like Velocity T#'s will]. Depending on what lights you run maybe heat won't be an issue - but in the summer on my MH tank ... I can take that degree and use it!
I dunno, quite happy with the little giant, about three years old and not a problem.

As for volume - I agree with those above who suggest figuring out what your overflow can handle and trying best to match the pump with that [factor in plumbing, elbows and such]. You can use a valve, I guess. Nothing wrong with it [might be best to avoid with a Mag] ... but that's just my 2 cents.

Craig Manoukian

I have a ball valve in line and open all the way, just in case I need to do maintenance or need to shut everything off on the return side. With anti siphon holes in the return line above the display tank water level, it is just redundant safety.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Maxx

I always understood that you weren't supposed to put a valve after Mag pumps as it will decrease their life and they're not really pressure pumps and it's not a good way to run them.
There is a way to run non pressure rated pumps w/ a ball valve to regulate flow, that wont hurt/damage the pump.
If you look at the image below, the red circle is a ball valve that regulates the flow returning to the tank, and the the green is a ball valve that returns water to the sump. Lets say you have a pump that is too powerful for your tank, closing the red valve down will decrease the flow to the tank, and increase pressure on the pump, opening the green will decrease the pressure at the pump, and will increase the flow back to the sump, (where it can be picked back up by the pump, basically creating a closed loop for your sump).
On the other hand, closing the green will cause increased pressure at the red valve, which can be released by opening it up.
Make sense???
Nick

Maxx

I tallows you to run the pump at full throttle w/o getting all of the flow to your tank.
Just something to remember....
Nick

johnlewis

Nice job Maxx I always thought you could close down the output side, but never the supply side or you will starve the pump.