A good sand sifting fish with personallity

Basile

Hey guys i'm on the look out for a good sand sifting fish, with a personnality, don't really go for timid fish. Any suggestion, i know gobies are good , but not sure which one to choose from. Let me know, specially if you have one. I don't care about them making a mess of the sand bed.

Rhodes19

I had a Diamond sifter goby until he went carpet surfing. He was a lot of fun to watch and did a great job cleaning the substrate. When I get my 180 up and going I will get another one.

Basile

I had a Diamond sifter goby until he went carpet surfing. He was a lot of fun to watch and did a great job cleaning the substrate. When I get my 180 up and going I will get another one.

Thanks thats exactly what i want personnality and usefulness lol, thanks. I'm planing on putting a mesh at the top, cause i'm gona have wrasses too , so need it .

forddna

Love my Diamond Goby. I never have to stir my sand. He's fun to watch, too, and not shy! I sometimes spot feed him shrimp, and he goes right after it! The only thing you gotta watch out for is having corals on the sand bed. He will sometimes dump sand on top of them. He has never done it to my big plate coral, but he has done it to Zoa frags that were on real small pieces of rubble and they were buried.

They are fairly easy to find, too.

When I was looking for a sifter, I was also suggested a Yellow Watchman Goby. IMO, not a good choice for a big tank. Somewhat timid and very small. I rarely saw him. I haven't seen him in a month or so now. Mine's a 220g.

CATALYST

I love my diamond goby too! It taunts my cats and they chase him through the glass. You can tell he gets irritated when I fill in the holes he just dug. I have seen him jump right through the holes in the eggcrate...I was standing right there when it happened fortunately.
Make sure you watch your rocks after you get one. With all the sand moving the rocks like to shift.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Love my Diamond Goby. I never have to stir my sand. He's fun to watch, too, and not shy! I sometimes spot feed him shrimp, and he goes right after it! The only thing you gotta watch out for is having corals on the sand bed. He will sometimes dump sand on top of them. He has never done it to my big plate coral, but he has done it to Zoa frags that were on real small pieces of rubble and they were buried.

They are fairly easy to find, too.

When I was looking for a sifter, I was also suggested a Yellow Watchman Goby. IMO, not a good choice for a big tank. Somewhat timid and very small. I rarely saw him. I haven't seen him in a month or so now. Mine's a 220g.

I never find yellow watchman timid at all. I find that by introducing them as the first fish, and letting them get comfortable and establish a territory, they are not at all shy. Mine swims the entire tank.

forddna

Mine was one of the first in a BIG tank. I think there were only 2 other fish when I got him, so he had a ton of room to feel secure. He found himself a spot and just popped out at feeding time now and then. He got more visible as time went on, but still..I'd try one again, just in a smaller tank.

molsen187

i have a golden watchman goby and he is really cool. i also got a tiger pistol shrimp to go with him and they paired up in about 4hrs. they already making a den right in the front of the tank. i did notice the goby is out more now that is has a shrimp.

Varga

my Diamond sifter went carpet surfing last night!!!!!!! Had him for 2+ years!!!!

Great fish to have though

DrHank

You may need more than canopy. Either egg crate or plastic netting over the top will give you an added safety margin. Don't forget any overflows you may have. Those fish are great but if they can find a way to commit suicide, they will.