A first for me!

lgerold

Maybe some of you will remember back in the old days, when you were still fairly new at this reef game...

Today, my water is PERFECT! For the very first time! I'm sure that I have jinxed it now :yup:

PH 8.1
Calc 420
Alk 2.86
Sal 1.0275
Nitrates 0!!!
Phos 0 to .003
Mag 1320
Iodide .03

Now, on Jan 7, we'll be switching this 125 out for a 210. I suppose that will completely throw everything off! :dryer:

lcstorc

Congrats on the paramaters and the upgrade. Be sure to post pics when the new tank goes in.

Pro_builder

Glad to hear that you got everything running smoothly. Yes the upgrade will upset the system a little, but usually not as bad as it was in the begining tank cycle. If you haven't already, do a search on RS about Moving a tank. there is a lot of good info about the best ways to do it and not cause you more problems down the road.
HTH

lgerold

I feared that typing the words "My water is PERFECT" would wreak havoc with the tank. :whstlr: I was just so darned happy! I couldn't help but share my excitement with others that would understand.

I went through a period of high salinity (crappy hydrometer), high nitrates, high phosphates, high calcium, high alkalinity. I think that the high salinity has been the root of all my evils.

You might remember a while back that I discovered that my hydrometer was way off. When I got my refractometer and checked my tank water, the hydrometer read 1.025. The refractometer read 1.035. So, over time, I lowered the salinity until the refractometer read 35 ppt. (I had calibrated it using the salt/water recipe.)

So, last week, I got my lastest shipment of fish toys. I had ordered the 53.0mS Calibration Fluid. It's hard to imagine, but when I calibrated the refractometer with the calibration fluid, the tank water read an amazing 40 ppt. The tank was still significantly too concentrated! I have to wonder what it would have read before reducing the salinity from the original salinity!

I wonder if it's possible that the bacteria responsible for denitrifying the tank could have been hampered by the high salinity? Whadyathink?:colorful: