A different sort of MH light arrangement

lauriepacific

Hi Reefers,

I have a 65 gal reef tank with two 250w MHs, two 50/50 PCs, and another single actinic. One day I had the thought to only turn on the MH on the left side of my tank along with the 50/50 PCs and single actinic. I really like the effect and it's given me a chance to place my light-loving coral on the left and those that like less light on the right side of the tank. I really like the contrast with this light arrangement and the shimmering effect is quite interesting. Somehow, by just using the single MH, the light in my tank seems more natural to my eye and less "flat" as when I have both MHs plugged in.

In addition, I'm saving 250w of light and my coral are growing like crazy.

I'm curious if anyone else has used MHs on only one side of their tank and what are your thoughts on this.

Cheers,

Laurie

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I think it's a great idea, there are a few people that run similar type setups, some run different wattage halides over 6-8ft tanks. The tanks always look great with the shaded areas.

DaveK is the person that comes to mind when I think of this type of lighting, I know he really likes the look.

DaveK

I see no reason why you can't use MH on one side of the tank. I have done it previously, and yes, the idea of not running a 250w MH is great, especially in the summer.

A lot depends on the effect you want in the tank. If it looks good t you then go with it.

kospaintball

I have been thinking about things like this for some time now. My fixture is 3 250s and 4 96w pc bulbs. I was wanting to have a sun rise effect from left to right on my tank. 1 mh bulb, then 2, then the pc bulbs, then all 3 mh and pc, then the right 2 mh and pc, then the right 2 mh, and finally the last mh

BobBursek

Well how long is your tank and does the lenght go east to west? and then angle the lights so they do not always shine from the top but in the sides and rotate in a 180 degree manner!!!LOL
I do my blue LEDs then Actinicts, then the MH, back to Actinics then the LEDs then darkness.

lauriepacific

This is a terrific discussion! Thanks so much for all your feedback. Tank lighting is such an art. I love the idea of creating sunrise and set sequences. Actually in the morning I enjoy turning on my actinic and then watching the MH slowly go from a faint shimmer to full-on light. It's so beautiful watching the intensity of the light change over a 2 - 3 minute period of time. It's the same fascination I have for observing the early morning light gradually change in my garden. After 10:30 a.m. the light becomes harsh to my eye - which is why I'm enjoying having only one MH over the left side of my tank and actinic and PCs over the entire tank.

My 65 gal. reef tank is 21" deep, 37" wide, and the lights are about 8" above the water and contained in the cabinet hood.

The additional plus to my singe MH light arrangement is that it gives me the whole right side of my tank to play around with lower light coral at various levels in the tank and not just at the bottom. I'm currently aqua-scaping with plugs of Acans stuck into the front sides of my live rock on the low light side of my tank. I'm growing them vertically - just as I'm growing my Ricordia (Florida variety).

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Since I posted yesterday, I manage to buy a large tank and I am only lighting parts of the tank. It's 10ft so I'm doing 2x400w halides over a 4ft rock pile and 2x175w halides place where they are needed over smaller piles and that's it.

It will be a while till I'm running but I am not going all out on the lighting.

lauriepacific

Eric: A 10ft tank will give you lots of opportunity to create interesting lighting effects! I look forward to hearing more about your new tank.

jfourn

Anyone have pics of this? I'm thinking of doing this in my 90 a 250mh on one side and 4x54 t5 on the other

lauriepacific

jfourn: I haven't tried to photograph this light arrangement in my tank because the difference between the MH side of the tank vs the 50/50 PC side of the tank is subtle...but I see the difference. The best way I can describe it is that the MH side is like noon-day sun and the PC side is more like 9 or 10am morning light. The contrast between these two lights creates more interest to my eye and it gives me a place for light-loving coral and another side of the tank for lower-light coral.

rgfast

my lights are run as followed leds for night have luner controller antics come on at 8am then at 2pm first set of 250s 20ks come on 2:30 second set 10ks come on there are 4 total start with outside to center 7:30 every thing starts turning off in same manner untill 9pm when its time for moon cycle don't know if corals care but looks cool

JonnyF

I was thinking of doing this also...

My reasoning was a little different, just because my tank is getting so hot from the lights now, and the left side is taken up by softies anyways.

Good Idea