96W Power Compact owners

ReefLady

Staff member
I've had a really tough time finding a selection of replacement straight-pin 96W bulbs. I was browsing Captivereefs (yes, a sponsor) and saw they have them... reason to rejoice for me.

This is not a shameless plug for our sponsor, LOL, these bulbs really have been hard to come by IME....well, except the PSL ones that suck and last a whole 3 months.

:)

T

mwrager

Thank Travis, I also have 96 watt straight pin lights. They have the actinic lights that I am looking for. I just need to find some one with 10k straight pin lights.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think that the Square Pins are better and more readily available.....when i bought my set up, i switched them from the start and i am really happy with the ones i got from hellolights (not a sponsor).

captivereefs

Sponsor
I also have access to a wide variety of straight pin bulbs not listed on the site. If you do not see what you need contact me and I will tell you if it is availible and what the price is.

Tasslehoff

Thanks captive

I've got you book marked for the next time the budget isn't MT.

I think everyone is talking 96W.

Tass

mwrager

Yes I would like to get 2-96 watt actinic and 2-96 watt 10k power compacts. Let me know how much for the bulbs and S&H. I broke one of my actinics. Thegood news is I have my MH 2-250 watt 10k up and running.

Tasslehoff

Hey rager

I've wanted to add MH to mine too. Did you retro them in or pendent? I'll bet the electric company loves you.

Tass

mwrager

I retrofitted them in, yes the Electric Company loves me, and before I put them in I bought stock in the company, LOL. No really my bill only went up about $20. Being that it is winter, the light does help heat the house. The problem is the summer. I have a new chiller I will be adding to my tank. We will see how much my bill goes up then..

jgalafa

Does anybody keep sps corals on 96 watt pc? If so how big is your tank and how many watts per gl.

Last edited:

mwrager

No I have LPS on mine, but I now have both MH and PC on my tank. I would think if you have them close to the light that they should be ok. But for the cost of sps, i would not do it.

ReefLady

Staff member
I keep montipora digitata under my 3x96, WPG doesn't matter because you darned well better have them as close to the lights as possible regardless of tank size. :)

The m. digitata survives and grows extremely well, but doesn't look as nice as it did when it was under halides. It turned brown under 2x96, then colored back up under 3x96.

HTH.