90 gallon MH lighting suggestions

iggyman1971

What would be the best MH lighting set-up for a standard 90 gallon all glass that's 24 inches deep? I would like to keep SPS & Pora's on the top part of the reef and mid to lower part soft corals. Would 2 X 250 Watt 15k's 14" above the water work or is that not enough? I would like the tank to have a nice light blue hue, but don't think I want as much blue as some 20k's I've seen.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also does anyone have any really detailed plans for a nice stand and canopy?

Thanks, Steve

BoomerD

2X250 would be my recommendation for a 90. Personally, I'd add 2X110 watt VHO for actinic supplementation, rather than go with the bluer MH bulbs. You get better PAR for your corals, and still get a nice blue color to the tank.
Here's a link that allows you to see the same tank, lit by different 250 watt bulbs, both with, and without actinics.
http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

Strongly recommend going to www.oceanencounters.com or maybe its oceansencounters.com Then search through and they have a system that includes pendant<--strongly recommend upgrading to the RO3 for more spread, EVCelectronic ballast, EVCbulb-your preference for the lowest price I've seen on the market.

Should also say over my 90 gallon I ran 2x250 DE 14.5k Megachromes off PFO mini-pendants with PFO converter plugs. Convert plugs can be found at premium aquatics, this is a more expensive route then the one I mentioned above.