90 Gal. reef tank in the makin'

Flouja

This is my first 90 gal. salt water reef tank! Tank is 48 x 24 x 18, I`m running a berlin X2 Turbo Skimmer, a MegaFlow 3 Sump, Hydor Koralia 4 x2 as well as a Koralia 3 for my flow. I also have Jager 250w heater, 100 lbs of Fiji Live Rock that has been cycling for just over 5 weeks, 20 blue leg hermit crabs, 10 black turbo snails, and 6 nassarius snails. I am picking up my T5 Nova Extreme Pro lighting system tomorrow. Here are the specs. on the lighting;
Six 54 watt T5 bulbs and individually contoured reflectors.
Three 54 Watt SlimPaq 10K and three 54 Watt 460nm Actinic lamps

I have no ammonia, Nitrare-0, Nitrite- 0.2, Alkalinity- 280, PH- 8.2

I`m looking for advice on pretty much anything!! More so on what to add next.... I`m thinking, a couple cleaner shrimp, a blood shrimp, a few emerald crabs and 10 or so scarlet reds? Maybe 5 more Black Turbos, and 6 more Nassarius?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Flouja

Jeremy0322

We need some pics of this setup and the sump? Also, I would add a few more nassarius snails and forget about the hermits, alot of people, including me, dont really like them because of how destructive they are when it comes to moving stuff around.

5 weeks seems like a good cycle period, maybe a little on the light side but all tanks are different. Usually, we like to see people sit on their hands for a while just to make sure its done and stable, so in about a week or two if those readings are still that good you can go ahead and start adding fish and corals slowly.

Those lights seems like they will be able to keep just about anything, good choice on the T5's. This is going to be an awesome tank, cant wait to sit back and watch it grow.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Welcome Flouja! Looks like you have a great reef in the making. My advice for a CUC (clean-up crew) is: 1 hermit/gallon, 1 snail/2 gallons, 1 shrimp/25 gallons, 1 serpent star/50 gallons. You can mix or match the snails and hermits.

Be on the look out for algae blooms and cyano outbreaks which are common with new set-ups. Many times it requires the addition of algae loving fish to control the outbreaks. Two that come to mind are the Foxface Rabbit fish and Lawnmower blennies. That may be a future decision though.

Also, you will want to get test kits for calcium, magnesium and phosphate, if this is to be a reef tank, as these elements play a crucial role in reef chemistry.

All the best! :clink:

Flouja

I like the Nassarius...as for the hermits, I`ve added extra shells for them so they don`t bother the snails and I`ve already noticed them moving them around, but other then that not too much destruction thus far. On Sunday i`m going to make a few additions to the CUC, thxs for the short form.lol I`ve also noticed 3 new baby snails in the tank, I think they are nassarius!! I will also pick up those test kits. Any brands I should keep in mind and how often should I test for cal. phos. and mag.?

As for the foxface, I hear they eat Zoos?? I would like one eventually but if that`s the case I most likely won`t get one. As for a test/starter fish I want to try a yellow tail demsel followed by a 6 line wrasses... Any particular order I should get fish in?

What kind of shrimp should I add? I want a Blood but I know they are more so a "Show" shirmp.

I`m going to add a few pics now...

Flouja

I think my picture files are too big! I`m gonna have to compress them and will try and add them soon.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
We'll keep an eye out for the photos. In the meantime I'd suggest Salifert brand test kits for their accuracy.

Yeah, I've heard those horror stories about the Foxface too. There may be some validity to that tale, however, keep in mind that the Foxface rabbit fish comes from depths that zoas do not inhabit, so it is not a natural diet for them. With a proper diet, they will be less likely to devour them.

The Blood Red shrimp as well as the Skunk Cleaner shrimp are excellent addition to any reef. Did you know that any shrimp with white antennae are considered to be cleaners? Just a little trivia. :lol:

I'd caution you against the damsel. They are meaner than junkyard dogs and will be difficult to remove later when you don't take my advice and add one anyway!:lol: The Sixline is a beautiful fish, but can also have aggressive issues when added first. If your heart is set on a Sixline, consider adding it later when your at the end of your fish stocking list.

Some good starter fish are the Royal Gramma and Firefish.

Flouja

lol... I`ve been told the same thing about the demsels, but apparently the yellow tail and yellow dems are peaceful. THis is the fish list I have so far... no particular order....Flame Hawk Fish, Mandarin Dragonette, black and white clown and the typical orange, black and white, Blue hippo tang, Yellow tang, Purple Tang, Orange spined tang, Six line wrasses, Yellow tail demsel, Tamoni Tang, possibly a foxface, and a convict blenny. Not saying I`m getting all of them, they are just the ones I like and have researched so far.

Flouja

lol... I`ve been told the same thing about the demsels, but apparently the yellow tail and yellow dems are peaceful. THis is the fish list I have so far... no particular order....Flame Hawk Fish, Mandarin Dragonette, black and white clown and the typical orange, black and white, Blue hippo tang, Yellow tang, Purple Tang, Orange spined tang, Six line wrasses, Yellow tail demsel, Tamoni Tang, possibly a foxface, and a convict blenny. Not saying I`m getting all of them, they are just the ones I like and have researched so far. I managed to get a few pics up! check them out!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Th-th-that's all folks! :lol: In a 90 gallon, one tang is the absolute maximum, so dwindle down that list. My vote is for the Tomini. Nix the damsel and add the Six line last. Research bottom dwellers, rock dwellers and mid water dwellers for a mix of depth levels and interest.

The Mandarin is another story. As you may know, or not, they require a mature system with a self replenishing supply of live food. One year minimum and a refugium to support his fascinating specimen!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Nice job from the pictures! I'm not a fan of picturesque backgrounds, but that one it pretty niffty!

Excellent work on the aquascape!

Flouja

I`m not a fan of the backgrounds either but that one was new and I kinda like it.... once I start adding corals and fish you won`t even notice it! One Tang... a few tears just fell! Although I`ve seen quite a few 90`s and 65`s with more then one. i`m not talking 5, but 2 and 3. lol

Thanks with regards to the aquascape.... it only took me 5 times to be satisfied!

The Mandarin.... I`m well aware and I do plan on getting a refugium in a few month or so... but thxs for the heads up. For now I`m concentrating on the cuc and maybe some corals. Coral`s I`m clueless... and eventually an anenome... once again.... clueless!! lol