8G BioCube (25G Downsized)

Tru2nr

Well heres the updated FTS with the new rock and also i seem to have a hitchhiker coral on the peice of LR not sure what it is yet amd cant get the best picture yet

20150104_152621_zpscxtirulb.jpg

Sent from my SM-T310 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Tru2nr

Ok heres the update, im away from the tank this week but i hit an ammonia spike that capped around .5 n dropped to under .25 before i left today. Had a small diatom breakout as expected but everything else is seeming to be good. I put in a small 1/4inch acro frag to see how it survives this week. If all is good than i feel comfortable not continuously testing ammonia and nitrAtes and focus solely on trItes

Sent from my SM-T310 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Tru2nr

Ok, so since it seems like I'm starting to get back into this lets start updating this thread....so long story short for those in June I moved out of my house and into an apartment so my cube is the only thing left.n when I moved in I was having the brown algae issue so I decided to start 100% all new rock...turns out I had the same issue again. Talking with the local store they things it's because I had dry rock and blasted it with light too early. So I'm going to take their advice scrub the rocks run super heavy carbon and GFO and see if that fixes it. I'm putting my singular clown and fire shrimp in the bio cube temp. Tank and if all else fails on the cube I'm starting over from scratch with just live rock and dry sand. [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squatch XXL

I was having the brown algae issue so I decided to start 100% all new rock...turns out I had the same issue again.

What type of water are you using for top off and water changes? From reading this thread, I would put my first algae suspect to be something that is being added. Some algae/diatom are normal during cycle, but to continually have it points to something else.

Tru2nr

it's a 50gpd RoDI that had been used on all my other tanks the second time I did it with the rock rock I even swapped out every single filter burned the first 15 gal of 0ppm water. The salt is from the same batch that was in my 75/120 which did not have a single issue with algae

Tru2nr

So I got a deal on a 29g RR cube with stand so I'm going to start all over again just going to use 100% live rock this time with dry sand just waiting on the guy to respond to me on the tank going to house the clown n shrimp in the biocube until the new cube cycles

Tru2nr

So day 2 of no response from this guy, maybe it's a good thing I'll be moving in 6 months anyway, so maybe I'll give the scrub n heavy GFO a shot

StirCrayzy

Dang, I thought I was subscribed to this thread before.
Moving really sucks, hard to get something stable then have to shake it all up and start over.

Tru2nr

Yeah it does but just got the biocube up and running just dropped salt in it going to put one piece of rock in it either later tonight or in the morning, I've decided to switch salts since I do not have any corals I figured it would be easy to do as I get the cube running good once again and maybe when I move I'll decide to just say screw it and buy a reef ready tank :)

Tru2nr

Pics or it hasn't happened right? I just decided to mix the salt in the biocube so that's why I have a giant pump in there to make sure nothing settles

9dd6a914f9d962974c3a9984807c60d7.jpg

Tru2nr

So major transfer with the cube 4 rocks cleaned and in the cube with the clown and shrimp

Tru2nr

No just scrubbing each rock to remove it and putting it in the new tank which every few days I'm doing a 4 cup water change just to keep it fresh; I've also changed salts from reef crystals to tropic marin. I was told that sometimes with dry dock if you hit it right away with light that it can create some nuisance algae. Not sure if that's the case and because I could never scrub super hard and replace(clown fish is a biter) it never went away.

Side bar: looks like I'm having a slight issue with the plumbing leaking after 2 years so I'm officially breaking down this tank and going to run the cube until I move and than just buy a new set up

Tru2nr

One thing after another, that sux

Yeah probably a blessing in disguise though now when I move all I'll have to worry about is the live rock which I'm going to move to a 10G and run just the rock in it no lights and heavy GFO/Biopellets until it's move time

StirCrayzy

How are you running the BP? Pic?
I've been looking into starting to run some, but I'm procrastinating cause I don't think I really need to.

Tru2nr

Sorry guys been a bit awol here(new gf been taking up time) and tanks just been running with some slight adjustments....so without further delay....

Stir...I believe in BP as long as you have enough flow...I run a minimal amount though as I would rather replace when they get dissolved and have better flow. I run them in a PhosBan 150 with a sicce pump...mj1200 was not strong enough to max the flow in a PhosBan

fed45e9c8e053e07fccb4212c49e5ade.jpg

Tru2nr

Now for the tank updates...ill get a FTS later but last weekend I took the GF to her first LFS because I originally wanted just a new bulb....turns out I also got a new mis-barred clown and a St. Thomas mushroom....as far as water stability is concerned undetectable trItes and coralline is starting to grow on the rocks again and you can see the Rock is starting to look normal...this truly leads me to believe that maybe I was not getting enough circulation in the old cube to get more than the top part of the water runnin through mechanical filtration OR I just absolutely suck with LEDs ha!