84+ Degrees w/lights Off - Help

ivyvine1

I need some help. My 90gal tank has been running 84+ degrees at 10 a.m. with the lights off (and heater of course), with the room temp at 74 degrees. I have a digital and regular thermometer and both read in the mid 80's !! What else could be causing this?? I am planning on getting a chiller next week, but want to get to the bottom of this first ..... I may not even need a chiller.
Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!
Irene

lcstorc

What kind of pump/pumps are you running? Or for that matter anything electrical related to the system? Have you unplugged the heater or just turned it off? Sometimes they get stuck on. My tank stays a couple of degrees above room temp, but that is with lights but also with fans. Have you tried any fans to reduce the temp? They work well for me anyway.

ivyvine1

lcstorc said:
What kind of pump/pumps are you running? Or for that matter anything electrical related to the system?

Only Iwaki Pump and South Bay Skimmer and two timmers for the lights.

Have you unplugged the heater or just turned it off?

Yes .....

Have you tried any fans to reduce the temp?

Yes, two in the canopy and one directed at the sump, but they are not helping much.

Thanks for you quick response!

lcstorc

Well to simply reduce the temp I have heard people recommend putting a frozen bottle of water in the sump, but I have no idea what may be causing the problem. Sounds like you have explored all the obvious places.
Sorry I'm not more help. Still too new I guess. Hopefully one of the real experts will chime in soon. You can try the rs chat as well. There may be somebody there who can help.

Kensn

Does the temperature swing lower at night or is it pretty constant? What type of lighting do you have? Is there venting in the hood to let the warm air escape?

I know a lot of questions here......

ivyvine1

Thanks Lynn ..... maybe the guys are celebrating Father's Day :) . I just want to find the problem, in addition to cooling the tank down because that is just temporary. When you say rs chat, do you mean Reef Central ??
Thanks for your help,
Irene

ivyvine1

Kensn said:
Does the temperature swing lower at night or is it pretty constant?

Hi Ken - yes, it does swinger lower ..... maybe around 79 at night with NO heater.

What type of lighting do you have?

Not too much lighting - Florescent lighting - 2 white and 2 blue
I don't even run the white at all lately.

Is there venting in the hood to let the warm air escape?

Yes .... the back of the hood is open.

I know a lot of questions here......

Don't worry about the questions ..... I want to find the problem.

Thanks Ken ...

lcstorc

No Reef Sanctuary.
There is a chat button on the top of the screen. Click that (it will download java if you don't have it.) then you can log in to the live chat. I was only on for a minute or two earlier and didn't see many people around but they may be there now. There tends to be more people on in the evening, so if you don't get a response now, try in a couple of hours.

ivyvine1

Okay .... thanks Lynn. I didn't realize they had live chat. I will try them later, but again, Father's Day may not be a good day ..... I'll see.

Thank you!!

Kensn

ummm... I don't see the problem yet.... Let try a few more questions....

What type and size of fans are you using?

Besides the main Iwaki pump and skimmer any other pumps or powerheads?

What type of pump is on the skimmer?