650 Auto Top off Leak

Last night I put about 4 gallons of water in the ato before my wife noticed it was leaking at the two slots in the cap where the reservoir is connected to the tube going down to the sump. After draining and soaking up water for 30 minutes, I took off the cap to make sure everything was ok. The orange or red gasket is in place and I reconnected it. I haven't put anymore water in it to test because I don't want another mess to deal with right now. Obviously there is plenty of water in the tank since 4 gallons went in last night. Is there any trick to putting that cap on? Water was just pouring out of the slots on it.

modulok

I think when I got my 500 setup there was a loose cap that was included to replace the original ATO cap. I never had a problem with the replacement cap leaking.

David Shaw

Ah thanks, i just checked mine, no leaks detected!

As it's at the back of the tank it's not an obvious place to know there is a leak, i guess i would only know if the ATO wasn't filling up the sump or noticed wet carpets behind the tank.

That's what happened to us. My wife just happened to check to see of the skimmer was working and saw water dribbling down the inside of the aquarium. Water was all over the floor. We have bamboo floors so hopefully it will be ok.

I think I got it fixed. Took it off and replaced. I didn't tighten down like I did before. It's holding water now. I have about 4 gallons in it. I will set the drip up later.

David Shaw

Great to hear you have the problem sorted. Did you have to buy a replacement cap or did you just take off and refit the old one?