600gal shark tank

satch12

i am making a 600gal shark tank and would like to get some of your guys opinions on what kind of sharks i should get. it is 96"x60"x24". it is probably going to b a tropical tank even though i would love to have a leopard shark but they need cold water along with smoothhounds. but i would love you get your guys opinions on this.
thanks in advance,
Ryan

corvettephreek

i would stick to catsharks.... their size allows you to keep them in tanks of that size, even until after adulthood. the banded coral cat shark, bamboo shark, and a couple of others would be great. if you plan on having a nurse shark or a white tip, i strongly recommend at least 1000 gal. capacity, as they get huge and need plenty of room to swim around. not much lighting is required for sharks, dim at best since they are mostly nocturnal creatures. for any shark you need to make sure a healthy supply of food is available, and my strongest suggestion is to find those shark eggs they have in stores, that way your shark can grow healthy and strong, so you can keep it as long as possible. these are just my opinions, and good luck with your shark tank!!!

satch12

thanks a lot willy your opinios are very good ones. what kind of foos should i feed them i know like squid and mullet is really good for them but what about like fresh tuna from the store or something like that?

Brucey

Sorry I can't offer any advice but I would just like to say, please keep us posted as I would love to see your results. Good luck
Brucey

Witfull

i would also suggest a horn shark,,,,small for a shark, and beautful...

i would also recommend some serious filtration, they eat alot and are a tad sloppy!

ask dennis at SharkysReef, he has experience with them.

satch12

i love the horn shark but they are a cool water shark i think and to chill a tank of that size is very expensive. yea i know i will need plenty of filtration i will have 2-100gal sumps and 2-3' tall skimmers.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Brucey said:
Sorry I can't offer any advice but I would just like to say, please keep us posted as I would love to see your results. Good luck
Brucey

:)

satch12

that is one awesome deal it doesnt really look like its 48" wide like it says. im sure that is going to go quick

corvettephreek

sharks eat anything that is bleeding or that looks yummy. i agree with witty with the whole filtration issue, as they eat fast and as much as possible. since they have strong teeth, they can eat crustaceans and some (but very few) mollusks.... I would supply a nice helping of silversides, some scallops, occasional squid, maybe even some cod filets or something cheap that is nourishing and healthy. if you get smaller sharks, start them on some squishy minced foods, then gradually give them some whole peices or cut up ones. also- most importantly, give them somewhere to "hide". sharks, being predatory AND nocturnal, will like a space to get away from it all so they do not become stressed. also it gives them a chance to sneak up on prey. good luck!!!!

Sharkbait

Here's a few more:Cockel,Prawns,Sole,and vitamin enrich everything you can.Variety is great,wider the better, stay away from Salmon.Sharks are picky or finicky at times, so patience is key while first feeding.Sounds like fun!