6 lamp fixture using only 4, is that possible?

r2d2

Hi all,

Im thinking in getting a 6 t5 fixture but I would be using only 4 bulbs at this time. Will this work? Does this could damage ballast?

Thanks

r2d2

Anyone? About any of two questions? Come on, I know I ask too many simple things but help me a little... :dance:

Greetings

WayneT

Arturo,

If you have a lamp that has split lighting, 4 on one ballast 2 on another, there should be no problem. If all the lamps are on a single ballast you could have a problem. Many of the commercial setups do have the split ballast as most ballasts won't handle more than 4 lamps at a time.

As far as the lighting, try to cover as much of the tank as you can with t5's. I have a 24" wide tank and with the advice of a good friend I opted to go with an eight lamp configuration vs a 6 lamp for better coverage.

Wayne

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I agree. If lamps are on more than one switch, then you do not have to turn all on at once. And many of us do not - we do dawn/dusk lighting.

I have owned one of those Aquaticlife fixtures in the past, and the lights are split up between ballasts. I liked the fixture; it was much better built than say a Current or Catalina fixture, but not as well as a Aquctinics or ATI.

I would get a 6 bulb fixture if I were you. Like you said, run 4 bulbs, but it will be more flexible for future applications. Buy once is my motto.

r2d2

I dont really need 6 bulbs right now but was thinking in heat and electricity $$$.
My plan was to run 4 bulbs and still be able to do dawn/dusk effect but for that I would need 3 switches or modify lamp conections; I guess that would be too much trouble.
Aquaticlife fixture seems very simple to use and just 1 cord.
Another option would be a canopy with a retrofit, very different way! My concern with this option is heat.

Greetings

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Aquatic life has a 6 bulb fixture now too, and you can still do dusk dawn by turning on two bulbs, then turning them off and turning on 4 bulbs.

The animals in the tank don't care about dusk/dawn, it is purely aesthetic for us. I do it too BTW.

The one cord and integrated timer is nice, and the moonlights on the fixture rock. Pretty solid fixture

DaveK

... Im thinking in getting a 6 t5 fixture but I would be using only 4 bulbs at this time. Will this work? Does this could damage ballast?...

The other replies answered your question from a technical stand point.

Here are my thoughts on the matter.

Generally with lighting more is better. Even lower light requirement type livestock will usually do better with more light. Two more T5's are not going to add that much more heat, but they will add a lot more light.

IMHO, I think you'd get better results using all 6 bulbs, even if you had to deal with some additional heat.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Tek fixtures don't have cooling. That drops PAR considerably - about 1% less PAR for every degree the fixture is over 79*. The new Tek Elite has cooling

The new Aquaticlife has 6 bulbs

Cooling really helps. Moonlights can always be added - easy to add an R2 moonlight

i wouldnt worry too much about the difference in electric bill for 4 to 6 t5s. i would say at most it will be minimal. it cost me .06 kwh and i run 7 mh and 4 t5s ,,, 4 tanks totalling about 450 gallons. with my heat in the winter i pay about 75 month and summer with air about 110.

Yeah, I have a Nova Extreme pro with 4 bulbs on one switch and 2 on the other. T5 lighting is very energy efficient. I'd run all six bulbs if possible. I like the dusk/dawn application.