56 column reef tank need help setting up

I have had a 29 gallon saltwater tank with a pulsing Xenia, 2 Kenya tree, and a toadstool. I want to upgrade to a 56 and I want to know if when I add more sand and cured live rock will it have to recycle or will I have to add live sand to. Please give me instructions on how to do it

theplantman

Yes, you should expect to have to recycle the tank, unless and this is still only a maybe, you transfer only what is in your existing tank and do not add another 20-30 lbs of live rock right off the bat.

Even so you may still see a small cycle. I would make the transfer and add the sand and then just watch your parameters for a couple weeks. If all is good, then add some dry rock to the tank to boost your biofilter, that is unless you are in to minimalist reefscapes.

theplantman

Not sure how big your sump is, one thing I would recommend is getting rid of the bioballs. They have a tendency to become nitrate factories. What model sump are you using? Can the compartment with the bioballs be converted into a refugium instead?