55gal. New (Used) Tank Set-Up Questions

Hello everyone!

I have been keeping a 20 gal. x-tra high Nano-Reef for about 1 year now. It has given me a great deal of experience and most of all, enjoyment. However, I am limited as to what I can do now other than keep it running and aiding in the development and growth of my corals. It was time to go bigger.

So, I have purchased a 55 gal. from a beautiful girl who, I think, did not know what she had. It is beautiful! There is one problem though... I have never had a tank with a sump system and under-tank plumbing. ??? Can anyone refer me to a place where I could find diagrams or information about setting up a sump system.

O.K. Here is what I got for $250
Specs:
-55 gal. glass aquarium with 1 Built-in overflow in the left-hand corner of the tank.
-Custom Made Wood Stand With drawers and canopy
-10 gal. glass sump with glass pane dividers. (It is divided into 3 sections. one section has 3 panes and the other has 2.)
-2 protein skimmers
- Some Spray divice that has a large tube connected to a propeller-like attachement made of PVC with holes in it. That fits into an acrylic box. (I guess this goes into the sump.)
-UV Sterilizer (Looks old)
-Reno 1700 water pump
- 6 different power heads (I will use my own)
- 1 large over the back filter
- 2 heaters (1- 150w Stealth & 1-200 w Stealth)
- Air pump with tubing
- Kent RO system for making clean water
- Canopy has heavy duty ballast for BHO? lighting. The bulbs are large gauge Flourescent like bulbs. Gold, Blue, White, with replacements.
- Tons of good chemicals, hydrometers, bags of Salt
- Electric thermometer
- Nets, buckets, containers, tubing galore, etc...
- I hit the jack pot!
(Not to mention, the tank also came with: 1 large maroon, 1 niger trigger, 2 electric blue damsels, hermits, snails, and live rock.)

.She did not have any of the plumbing set up when I got there. She was just running the tank off of the hang-on filter. The water was ice cold too.

I WANT TO SET THIS DIAMOND IN THE RUFF UP SO BAD. HELP!

Thanks guys! I am reading/studying it now. My roomate has just informed me that I will NOT be setting it up on the fourth story of the town house. So, I am looking for a more suitable place to put it on the first floor. That should give me some time to get my plans for the sump ready.

Update: Both Protein Skimmers are not working up to thier original capabilities. So, I have ordered a Fission 210 Power Skimmer. Also, After reading the site that Detnoid referred me to, I am ditching the 10 gallon sump tank and exchanging it for a 20 gallon long. Sturdy PVC plumbling designs are in the works. I have to do some more homework.

I will be taking pictures soon. I know you all like pictures.

goldenmean

Are you going to put the sump in the stand?
Just make sure that the 20g long will fit.
That is why I used a 15g tall for my sump - it fit in my standard stand.

AH HA! 15 gal... The plan is to put the sump IN THE Stand. If my 10 fits with plenty of room on both sides, I assumed the 20 would fit perfectly. Maybe I need to tripple check.

Goldenmean: What kind of lighting do you have that achieves that "Blue Spot-light" effect in your tank? I saw it in your gallery. It is very dramatic.

goldenmean

On a lighter note I had been wanting to get some lunar lights for this tank but I knew I could not put then too close to the 250W MH. Last week when I went to the Skokie LFS to get the salifert ammonia test as I was leaving I noticed a nano that had a light in the water in the tank. I came home and did some research and found the Hydor Aqua Color lights Each light has 4 blue LED lights. They are submergable and have a suction cup. My tank is acrylic and has an acrylic top with some large opening cut into it. I was able to attach these light to the top of the tank.
That quote is from my 55g tank chronicle (link to that thread is in my signature.)
Here is the company link HYDOR

I know that the AGA 20g glass tank would not fit in my stand. I do realize you have a custom stand so you probably have some more room than my stand does.

The 20 gallon would work. But, my roomate/landlord is freaking out about the weight of the tank. It must be set up on the 1st floor. So, now I have to build a stand that is going to be more "asthetic." He wants it to blend in with the rest of his furniture (of which is all too expensive for my taste.) So, now I have a challenge before me.

The stand must support the weight of the tank, have the capacity to hold a 20 gallon long sump, be decorative to match the surrounding decor, and (here is the unique feature) have an extension, or panel, that will cover the back of the painted tank.