55 Gallon Reef and Fish Setup Help

1Reefer

I agree, a 55 just isn't big enough for a tang... of any kind. I have a 72 gallon w/20 gallon fuge' and wouldn't even consider putting a tang in it...

mpwolken

Purchased my first salt water fish today! Decided to go with a tank raised Clark's clownfish. I've heard anemonefish are very hardy and a good beginner fish. He seems a bit apprehensive at the moment and seems to be just hiding out in the corner of my tank, but hopefully he will adjust soon. It's nice to finally have a fish in there. I'll probably wait a couple months before I add another fish. My next fish will be a regal tang or a flame angel.

I've heard of taking it slow, but 8 months before 1 fish is a very long time. I'd avoid the flame angel as they are iffy around coral (I'm expecting you will be keeping coral). Tangs are out in a 55G. The smallest tangs grow 8-10", many grow much larger.

Why the bio-wheel filter? Are you not planning on keeping coral at all? With all that live rock, you do not need a HOB filter. That live rock is your filter.

I have 7 new coral and they all seem to be doing good. I had to try different positioning for the corals to make sure they don't have to little or too much light and also be sure that they have just the right water flow. I've been feeding the acan every few days which has really brought out some growth and color. My clown has adjusted well and swims happily around the tank looking for food in the water column. I've been supplementing it's diet with reef flakes and bloodworms (which he really likes). I use the H.O.B. filter for it's carbon cartridges which I change on a regular basis. I know everyone says they are nitrate factories, but I've yet to encounter a problem with it. The filter also seems to add some extra flow and oxygen to the water which is also a bonus. Nitrates and phosphates are at zero and nuisance algae has slowed down considerably since I've been dosing kalkwasser and maintaining a 8.4 PH. Every day I notice new things growing out of my live rock. Feather duster worms, coralline algae, and other strange creatures which I've yet to identify. My reef tank has been thriving and I've been very pleased with how my patience has paid off. I've ordered some cyclopseeze for my corals and another timer so I can run both sets of lights simultaneously. They should be arriving tomorrow or Friday.

yungreefer2410

with the way your running the hob filter (carbon only) i don't see there being a problem with it, if the only thing in it is the carbon anyway

Just got back from my 3 week vacation in Europe. Left my reef tank in my inexperienced girlfriend's hands. When I got home there was considerable hair algae. (worse than I have ever seen) Purchased 3 more mexican turbos to help clean it up. Water parameters are perfect however and it seemed to be an excess of light that had brought the algae on. My clownfish seems happy, but one of my acros had bleached and the other one is well on it's way. They seemed just fine when I left. I'm beginning to think that having a great variety of corals isn't such a good idea. Perhaps 6x54 watt t5 lighting is not enough for acros? Different corals require different lighting and in a 55 gallon tank it is hard to find correct placement in terms of position and water flow. My frogspawn and acan seem to be thriving, although my hammer coral seems to be losing some color on one side. I've also noticed that bubble algae is spreading and I've spotted 2 aiptasia anemones. Quite amazing how much can happen in a period on just three weeks in one's reef tank. Oh, forgot to mention that while I was in Europe I visited the Amsterdam zoo aquarium and the London aquarium. Will be sharing video and pics soon!!

Frogspawn

IMAG1355.jpg

1Reefer

Hey, sorry to hear about the problems in the tank... hope you get em cleared up soon, and if you ever need any help post here on RS and I'm sure they will get you squared away! They're always great here!

On another note it sounds like you had an amazing Vaca! I'm jealous! And I can't wait to see those pics, and video of course!

Yeah, great vacation but it's good to be back. Here's some pics of some awesome rock and a frogspawn that I purchased from a fellow reefer here in Wisconsin...

IMAG1366.jpg