55 Gallon Planted

plecosword

I'm going to keep tract of plant growth here and changes of the tank. I have had this tank for 3 years, the plecos are the same age. here what I have for equipment.
  • 300gph powerfilter
  • 2x15w 67000k
  • 100w heater
  • powerhead around 200 gph?
  • DIY CO2 lol
I have been struggling with plants, I'm not sure if i have enough light for them, plecos are always moving them around.

plecosword

003.jpg

004.jpg

as of right now
002.jpg

007.jpg

Sailfin Pleco
009.jpg

Bamboo shrimp
010.jpg

Heliux

Nice goldy;) and the anacs are one of my favorite freshwater plants as well:) all i would say is get alot more, group them together, and make it a dense planted tank:D

plecosword

Nice goldy;) and the anacs are one of my favorite freshwater plants as well:) all i would say is get alot more, group them together, and make it a dense planted tank:D
Thats my goal, do you have sugestions for plants? the tank is partly lit by sunlight.
Are those peacock eels?
no, those were Dojo Loach. I lost a lot of fish for doing something stupid. I have all the watger on RO/DI now. I can finally controll the ph.

chrome91

to use RO in FW you need to mix it with tapwater, like PEMfish said its too pure and the fish will miss out on many good minerals that are in tapwater

chrome91

in low light tanks ive had luck with cabomba, java moss, and java fern. a year ago before i made my standard 55g a reef i had it as FW with the same lighting as you, and loads of java moss and java fern at the bottom, with a crapload of cabomba on the top. i had a CO2 system but i never used it, i just half-arse dosed hagen plant gro every week.

Heliux

I suggest sword plants, moneyworth, more anacs, and A LOT of frill. Will be messy when they shed, but if u keep the tank cleaned regularly, it will look beautiful!

GL

lix

Heliux

Also dont forget CO2, there are some do it yourselves but it can get really complicated. You want the CO2 pads because they really do keep your plants alive and well. Your going to have so much money invested in this tank that might as well spend the extra 50 dollars at your LFS for a CO2 machine thingy to help with your flourishing plants:)

plecosword

Yeah, CO2 has helped a ton. The DIY CO2 is not complicated at all though. simply 2 cups of sugar with a tea spoon of yeast, all in a coke bottle filled with 3/4 of water. it will last from 2 to 4 weeks. its real cheap!