55 and 40g DT 135g system

elliottb

Well, at another forum I am part of I had made a long thread about my whole build of my system. I have kept some of the pics in photobucket, so I will post the process from start to finish here.

I have had my 55g tank from the time I was 15 (19 now) and for the first 2 years the tank was a mess. I did nothing right. BUT, in the past year I made a sump, did water changes and took care of the livestock I have. Here are a few pics of the 55 and 20g sump.

This is a pic of my mushrooms about 2 years ago.
100_1425.jpg

Here is a pic of my mushrooms now
100_2181.jpg

100_2176.jpg

Notice the difference in the corraline algae growth?

Here is a pic of the sump when I first made it
sump2.jpg

Since then I have made many changes but do not have any recent pics.

Or do I? :square:
100_2030.jpg

elliottb

Then I thought how great it would be to have a frag tank! So guess what I did! Thats right, I got a frag tank going! A 20g long.

100_2105.jpg

100_2107.jpg

100_2106.jpg

elliottb

I got this tank up and running for about 2 months and thought it would be cool to add a seagrass tank. I had a 30g that I let my friend borrow, but he left water in it in 20 degree weather. Yes, it broke. I look at the posotive in everything and saw this as an opportunity to get a larger tank. I went with a 40g breeder!

100_2035.jpg

I made my own stand too.

100_2054.jpg

This is when things started to get interesting. I thought how cool it would be to add all the tanks together...

100_2130.jpg

Then after many hours of figuring things out and getting everything plumbed, the system was official :D

100_2143.jpg

100_2154.jpg

elliottb

This is when I really started focusing on seagrass. I literally read hundreds of articles and blogs and EVERYTHING about seagrass, specifically halodule wrightii (shoal grass). I found they will benefit form a DSB. My thinking is to go big or not at all.

100_2155.jpg

100_2156.jpg

Now, I had to think about lighting. Studying about the plants I found they like natural sunlight best and decided to go with a pair of 65w floodlights that are 6700k.

100_2232.jpg

100_2233.jpg

They are BRIGHT! I would say very close to 150w MH lights.

This is where my "chronical" is at. I went to a LFS the other day to see if they had and seagrass but they diidnt and said they would call me with a price for them to special order it for me.

boozeman

I noticed you are having trouble finding sources for seagrass....you might want to try asking panmanmatt as seahorses routinely use eelgrass' as hitching posts in tanks.

tbittner

Great job! Especially with figuring out how to plumb everything together. That is really nice looking sand too! What is it? I need to buy some in the not to distant future. :)

You're shrooms are especially beautiful! I buy shrooms with those nice colors and, under my lights, they change colors, typically back to the brown/rust color. :(

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
How is that Labroides dimidiatus doing? The world is a much better place with them in the oceans!

elliottb

The sand, I got it from.....I forget. either liveaquaria or marinedepot.com

I would like some eelgrass, but it tends to get a little larger. With the 5" DSB I am only left with 11" until the top of the tank.

The Labroides dimidiatus unfortunately passed. I had that bad boy for almost 3 months until he went MIA. That was the second one. I had another one for 6 months until my cat got a snack :( . I am just happy I was able to keep it so long because I have read how difficult they are to keep because of their eating habits. I have also read they wont live much past a month the the average home aquarium.

elliottb

Great job! Especially with figuring out how to plumb everything together. That is really nice looking sand too! What is it? I need to buy some in the not to distant future. :)

You're shrooms are especially beautiful! I buy shrooms with those nice colors and, under my lights, they change colors, typically back to the brown/rust color. :(

Thanks! it took some figuring out how to do the plumbing and am still tweeking a few some things.

I have my mushrooms under 390w of PC light. They usually grow 2-3 new shrooms a week, depending on how often I frag them.

elliottb

I am still looking for a seller of halodule wrightii (shaol grass), so if anyone knows where I can get some, please tell me?