46g Zoo/Richordia tank pics

I finaly took some deacent pics of my 46g zoo tank. This tank has been runing for only a month now. the live rock has been there the full time, while the licestock has only been there a just over a week.

Stats:
46g bowfront
220w P/C 2X 10k and 2X actinics
80 Lbs of live rock
1 lawn mower blenny
1 hippo tang
15 to 20 asorted hermits
(left over from past tanks)
250w Ebo heater
Prizim skimmer
fluval 104 with carbon sock and sponges

total cost of equipment= $18 bulk carbon & fluval sponges. Every thing else was from past tanks or donated.

Last edited:

semigodd154

i have been doing a set up a lot like this one in a 30 breeder since dec rics and zoos make a great display and yours looks really nice.

The colors are all washed out in a few of the pics... i dont know if its the camera, the bowfront tank or the opperator but ill work on that.

Thanks semi, i like zoo/richordia tanks. you can get all the beautiful colors of SPS with out the experiance, the equipment and the $$$$$$.

I frogot to ask what would the ideal lighting setup for this type of tank be?? I dont like PC actinics at all... too green. They have to go.

semigodd154

on my 30 breeder i use 2 50/50 2 10k and 2 actinic 03 all NO bulbs for 180 watts of light the colors are gorgeous. In your setup i would make all the pcs 10k and put on a couple of NO actinics just my opinion there is no sense wasting the light you already have just add a little more and change it up a bit.

Thats a good idea all pc 10ks. but i might step up the actinics to vho.
i was even thinking along the lines of 70 w MH lamps even (just a dream thou)

semigodd154

VHO's would be cool if you think it would help i used NO because I had the fixtures laying around as for the halide I dont think it would be cost effective from everything i have seen at nanoreef.com the 70 watters are as expensive if not more so than 250's and the BF that you have isnt really all that deep I had one for awhile till it got a stress crack in the back glass and i took it down b4 it could leak I think the pcs and the NO/VHO combo would be perfect

reefrunner

Contributing Member
thumbs.gif
thumbs.gif
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif

Awesome!!! I forsee a frags 4 sale thread in the future ;)

For the lighting, if you can fo it...I'd go with a couple of 250W 20K halides. No actinics needed, and the rics and zoos will love you for it.

Hooked

Hey Jeepers, I recently did the same thing--set the old bowfront back up and filled it with rics and zoos. I also have a couple of Rose btas. Anyhow, in response to your lighting question I have 4 95w VHOs and a 55w pc actinic. The light color is definitely white. You may want to check out this actinic pc bulb. This is the one I use and it's not as blue as the VHO bulb, but it is definitely not green and supposed to be a true actinic. Of course, if the pin configuration isn't the same as yours, then that's another problem. :(

Here's a link to the bulb

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...A&Product_Code=PC96W-TA&Category_Code=PCbulbs

I have pix of my bowfront in my gallery. If you're interested, I can take a pic with the pc light only on for you. Let me know.

By the way--looking good :thumbup: