46G of Zoolatry

zoolatry

zo·ol·a·try
thinsp.png

–noun the worship of or excessive attention to animals.
[Origin: 1810–20; zoo- + -latry
thinsp.png
]

Be warned, I intend to go on at some length about myself and my motivations before getting to the nitty gritty of my system, so feel free to skip past my blabbing if it bores you.

I am a lover of all living creatures, which can be seen as soon as you enter my house (well, apartment actually). Two teacup chihuahuas greet you at the door, and a variety of plants nestle in and on every corner, counter, and table.

I have a particular fascination for the tropical, spurred by several trips to my favorite location in the United States, the Florida Keys. Since I must spend my time in temperate climates for at least several more years, I bring the tropics to me. My favorite plant is, hands down, the palm, as it reminds me of the tropical climates I love so much. I have a bottle palm (purchased in the Keys, you can't get them where I live) and several smaller, more typical house palms, and I also have a dwarf cavendish banana that definitely helps pick up the tropical feel.

Back a few years, I used to have 3 freshwater tanks, one of which housed African Cichlids, but I always longed for the beauty and diversity of a marine system. I also always believed (rightly so, at that time) that it was way beyond the capacity of my budget. This year, though, sitting on a nest egg I'd built up with a management job, a friend gave me an old 45 gallon tank, and I did a little research on saltwater, just to see if there was any remote chance I might be able to swing it. A little research gradually turned into a lot of research and eventually I realized that I was going to go ahead and jump into this crazy, wonderful, expensive, time-consuming commitment of a saltwater tank.

Perhaps it was snorkeling over the reefs at Sombrero or Looe Key that really made me want to do this. Floating above those reefs, I'd never felt more at peace or had such a sense of wonder since I'd been a young child. I wanted to try to recreate a piece of reef in my own home, to feel a scrap of that wonder every day.

So, I began by trying to clean off the hard water film from the old tank I'd been given. Then I became concerned about its long-term ability to hold water, and decided to reseal it. Next, I became concerned about just what might have been in the tank before, and whether it might leach into the water. Finally, I put it in the you-know-what bucket and sprang for a new 46 gallon tank and stand.

I dumped some more money into the equipment for the tank, and got it up and running. I went to five different pet stores before finding one two hours away that actually had decent live rock in significant quantities.

These are the basic specs of my tank:

46G Bowfront tank
T5 HO 39W X 4 Lighting
AquaC Remora HOT Skimmer
2 AquaClear 30 Powerheads
1 Hydor Koralia #1 Pump (plus a second for mixing saltwater)
200W Heater
~70 lbs Live Rock
~50 lbs Aragonite Sand

46gal6.jpg

A day after putting in the live rock & sand

So far things seem to be going extremely well. The live rock was well cured but fresh enough to still have a good bit of life on it. Within days the ammonia spiked and fell, nitrites spiked and fell, and nitrates were at measurable levels.

I am really pleased with the skimmer and very glad I did a lot of research before buying. From what I've heard about other skimmers, it was worth every penny. Surface scum disappeared within days of its "kicking in" after the break-in period, and it produces lots of dirty brown skimmate and now requires no adjustment.

Much of the coralline on the live rock did indeed turn white and die, but I've already got new growth.

rock1.jpg

New algae growth beginning

The glass is teeming with 'pods, and though I have yet to see any worms, I am sure they will be making an appearance soon. I've got some small hydroids that have appeared on my glass as well.

hydroids2.jpg

Hydroids on glass - Approx. Size 1-2mm

I'm trying to go for a natural look with everything. I want this to look like it could be a section of reef somewhere.

rock3.jpg

zoolatry

rock2.jpg

One of my favorite areas of the tank

gloreto1.JPG

Gramma loreto - the Royal Gramma, my first fish

Livestock:
8 Hermit Crabs
5 Nassaurius Snails
5 Mexican Turbo Snails
8 Astrea Snails
1 Royal Gramma

For the future, I plan on moving up to corals and starfish, but for now, my tank needs to get further established. I probably won't even think about adding any of those for at least 3 to 6 months, but maybe I'll add another fish in a month or so if everything holds stable.

Please feel free to make suggestions!

zoolatry

Well, I've been very busy over the last six months or so with nursing school, but my tank is still going strong:

41009aq.JPG

I've had some ups and downs with it, and lost a couple of fish to one problem or another, but I think I've finally got things set up pretty solidly, with healthy fish and corals. The clownfish had a nasty case of brooklynellosis turn up soon after I got it, and I didn't think it would survive, but after a week of treatment in QT it improved dramatically.

The anemone is a fairly recent addition:

anemone.JPG

It seems to be doing fine. I've been waiting for my tank to get reasonably mature to add it, and even though I did my research, I still half-expected it to drop dead for some reason or another within a week. Needless to say, I'm quite pleased that it didn't, and it's been in the tank for over a month now.

My favorite coral:

xenia1.JPG

The pulsing xenia! I absolutely love this coral! Personally, I find a swaying, moving coral like this one to be about one of the most pleasing things to the eye one can have in an aquarium. I've only had it for about a month, too, but it already seems to have grown significantly.

I've also rigged up an auto top-off system for the tank, which is even more convenient and easy to manage than I would have thought, requiring only a float switch, a pump, and some tubing to save me having to manually add water every day. Definitely the way to go, I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

So, though I haven't posted here in many a month, my tank is still here, and still doing fine.

zoolatry

Now that school is over for the summer, I'm devoting more time to my aquarium hobby and even poking around here a bit more.

Here's my Xenia today, about a month and a half after the last picture:

IMG_4400rs.jpg

It's doing really well! My other corals are also doing well, as is the anemone, but the Xenia is just taking off. I just got back from two weeks vacation in the Florida Keys (yes, I am a snorkeling fanatic and want to get SCUBA certified) and I was amazed how much it grew in just that short time.

You can also see my clownfish there in the foreground - like a happy dog, it follows me around.

zoolatry

Thanks for your comments! It's good to get some feedback about things. And no, I didn't get new lights as in a new fixture, but I did replace the HO bulbs about a month ago.

zoolatry

Despite my lack of posting here, my tank nonetheless continues to grow. It's well over a year old now, and I'm pleased with how things are coming along.

IMG_5206rs.jpg

The Xenia has taken off and is on its way to taking over at this point. As I don't have too many other corals, I'm content to let it have its way for now. I've also purchased an orange fin Tomini tang that has fit right in with the other fish and is doing very well.

I'm also getting some more coralline algae growth; it's beginning to colonize the back glass as well as the rocks now. With the auto top-off system, calcium supplementation is easier than when I started out. Unfortunately, I also have something of an ongoing battle with nuisance algae. I put in a phosphate reactor running an iron-based media, which has helped, but it's still a problem. I've tried cutting back the light cycle, I manually remove it constantly, and I try to cut back on feeding, but still it keeps coming back! I will win this battle, though, sooner or later...

IMG_5204rs.jpg

I love the side view.

IMG_5180rs.jpg

My anemone, which I've had for about six months, continues to do well also. Despite all I've heard about how troublesome they can be, mine has been relatively trouble-free.

All in all, while my tank is not perhaps an award-winning showpiece, it gives me a lot of pleasure. I think I'm doing pretty well for my first saltwater setup, and the great thing is that it keeps getting better as I add more to it. Perhaps somewhere down the road it may just be as astonishing as some of the other tanks I've seen. The semester ends next week, so I'm planning to run up to the fish store in Pittsburgh to get some more corals and rejuvenate my cleaning crew. We'll see how it goes.

jcgardner

Just out of curiosity what type of light is that? Is that the nova extreme t-5SLR? I have been wanting to get an anenemia as well, but didn't know if the lights would support one. If so this is great news.

zoolatry

Yes, it's a Nova Extreme T-5 HO fixture with two 10000 K and two 460 nm actinic bulbs in it. I've had great success with it; the anemone's doing just fine. I do try to change the bulbs every six months, though.

jcgardner

Thans zoolatry. I have had that same light and just ordered new giessman (sp?) bulbs. Maybe that is what I will ask Santa for.