46 gal Bow Lighting?

wayne001

I have been researching lighting a lot, unsure of what to get. My tank is 18” deep. I have been looking at T5 fixtures, Tek light or Current Nova Extreme pro. 4 lamps or 6 lamps both seem to be about the same price. The only major price difference is the legs for the Tek, I do not want to hang the light. I really don’t know what type of corals I want, I just don’t want to have to upgrade later. Everything I have read is that HQi is the only light that will support High light corals. Any info information will help a lot.

PIMPALA

Unless you find some really narrow fixture, you wont be able to fit a 6 bulb on there without hanging it... and even then, a large portion of the bulbs will hang over the front.

i have a HQI 250w plus actenics on mine, and everything seems REALLY happy! It fit on the legs just fine, but i ended up hanging it anyway, because it didnt fit with my HOB macro fuge that i built, and i think it looks better hanging.

I had a 4 bulb T-5 on it for awhile, but I upgraded after only a few weeks.

wayne001

I never checked the Tek light, but the Current Nova Extreme pro measures 36" x 12" x 4.25". I was not sure if i wanted HQI, I guess i was thinking of the money. It seam that for the same price I could go with HQI. How high would i have to hang it not to need a chiller?

PIMPALA

Mine is about 6" from water, and 8hr a day run on the hqi without any water temp increase.

wayne001

Well thanks for the advice. Would you recommend RP3 filter? and how well does the protein skimmer work? I have been wanting to get this started, but have not been able to find what i want. I am torn with buying LR or getting filler rock and just a little bit of LR.

PIMPALA

if you can drill the tank, i'd find a way to buld a sump and skip the RP3, and get a real skimmer... BUT, if thats not an option, try the RP3 out. Mine actually workds really good, and the skimmer seems to be doing its job! I have the cup attached to a 1 gallon milk jug with a hose, and it sure does put a lot of crap in there, so i know its working. gotta change the air stone out every month or so, but they are cheap, and its an easy change.

i think for our stand size, and limited space, its a decent choice. lots of racks for poly/carbon/whatever you want in there too.

wayne001

What would you prefer, wet/dry or Fuge? You know the problem I have with room under the tank. I have found a wet/dry that will fit. I think I can get a 15 gal Tall tank in there, it would be tight for clearance. I don’t know if I could get a light in or not.

wayne001

What would you prefer, wet/dry or Fuge? You know the problem I have with room under the tank. I have found a wet/dry that will fit. I think I can get a 15 gal Tall tank in there, it would be tight for clearance. I don’t know if I could get a light in or not.

PIMPALA

if i was gonna re-do it, it would have a big skimmer, and a fuge with a light. and there ARE tanks that will "fit" in there... but they wont hold all the stuff that i want, so im just stickin with what I have for now, as it seems to be working, and my tank is VERY happy. ( i hate making changes when everything is happy. it seems like it takes FOREVER to go back to normal)

cheechako

Beautiful looking tank! I love the corals! That's my goal.

I, too, have a 46 bowfront cycling right now. I had an extra 10 gal sitting around and turned it into a sump/fuge. I've got a Tunze DOC Nano skimmer in the sump.

Here's what it all looks like under the stand:

IMG_0071.jpg

I built a wood surround to cover the whole thing up:
IMG_0131.jpg