46 gal Bow 5/20/08

novanosis

Hey everyone!
I decided to start my 46 Gallon Reef Thread.
Currently I have a Ehiem 2229, 110Watts PC, SeaClone 150 "everyone HATES them".

Set up Date was 5/20/08

I have 56 lbs LR.
I have 40 lbs LS.

Soon I will be upgrading my lights to 36 inch Current USA 6x39W Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 3-10k/3-460nm Actinics, around $300.

After I get the lights which will be in 3 weeks I will be turning my attention to a Sump/Fuge build using my 40 Gal Breeder. When it comes to that I will be asking questions on How To, since I am new to making a sump.

Yes there is a toad stool in there right now, I am sorry I had no where to put him he came out of my 24 Gal Nano (which is sold).

Any suggestions, ideas will be helpful. Thank you and keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Here are some Pictures. :rolleyes:

dsc01776vs9.jpg

dsc01779cn2.jpg

dsc01781gs5.jpg

dsc01783ny8.jpg

dsc01784zc5.jpg

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
always happy to look at a new chronicle! nice rock pile and cleanup crew! keep it coming, Steve

G!N+T0N!K

nice tank. I love non square tanks. The only sugestion id say is watch that light you have in the front. Makes me nervous just looking at the pic.

novanosis

nice tank. I love non square tanks. The only sugestion id say is watch that light you have in the front. Makes me nervous just looking at the pic.

Hey GIN, I was wondering for your 75 Tank.. Is it reef ready or do you have a hang on overflow box? Just wondering because I will need to get an overflow box for my fuge in the near future.

crazylion

lookin good... PUT SOME FISH ALREADY LOL put any fish you want dont listen to any negativity and relax on those fish that hide in rocks all day and you will do good.

novanosis

Well plans have Changed. I decided to get 96x2 PC lighting. For once I am happy with them. They are very bright and will do great for Softies.

Also added two more pieces of LR on the far right corner.

Removed all those crappy power heads and added just a Koralia #4. Works well.

Added 3 Red Leg Scarlets.
Added 6 Blue Legged Hermits.

Here is a short video....
http://www.youtube.com/v/HVRN7aubuzg&hl=en

HERE ARE SOME NEW PICS!

dsc01785vl1.jpg

dsc01788ga2.jpg

dsc01790tg4.jpg

dsc01791gd3.jpg

dsc01793dx6.jpg

dsc01794dh6.jpg

Last edited:

tbittner

Nice light! Monitor your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates closely. That new LR will most likely cause a small cycle.

novanosis

Nice light! Monitor your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates closely. That new LR will most likely cause a small cycle.

Thanks! Although the camera just does not do justice for those lights, they are brighter than they look.

Does anyone know when will it be a good time to add a coral?

Also which will do best in these lights?

A list would be great. Hey name a few ill be glad you did!:clink:

Wow, I feel like I'm having Deja Vu. :stars:

Your tank and equipment have an eerie resemblance to my own.

But hey GREAT minds think alike:idea:

Your aquascaping is killer! I love it. Did you aquascape all the way against the wall? I have mine in the middle but I am considering moving it back, but, I'm scared I will kill some snails in the sand bed.

I also think I need about 15 more lbs of LR.

I will be getting a current USA sundial system for my own tank in the next few weeks.

Keep up the good work.

:lurk:

funkpolice

I have the same lighting and my leather and xenia are doing really well. Bubble torch and lobo are growing as well.
bill

goldenmean

Nice start.

Does anyone know when will it be a good time to add a coral?
How much of that LR is from your 24g and how much of it is new?
Before you add more corals you want the new LR to cycle.
How quickly or slowly that happens will depend on how much LR came from your previous tank. That is why it is important to test for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte.

novanosis

Wow, I feel like I'm having Deja Vu. :stars:

Your tank and equipment have an eerie resemblance to my own.

But hey GREAT minds think alike:idea:

Your aquascaping is killer! I love it. Did you aquascape all the way against the wall? I have mine in the middle but I am considering moving it back, but, I'm scared I will kill some snails in the sand bed.

I also think I need about 15 more lbs of LR.

I will be getting a current USA sundial system for my own tank in the next few weeks.

Keep up the good work.

:lurk:

Hey thanks! The rocks are piled up against each other in the middle of the tank closer to the back but the only points of contact is the end of the tank with the last Rock. I added the LR before the sand, so they are sturdier.

Your tank sure has that same power head! and maxijet for the skimmer? :laughroll

Yeah I just said to myself, might as well get this LR issue out of the way, plus I got it for a steal at my LFS! TONGA for $4 a lbs.

novanosis

Nice start.

How much of that LR is from your 24g and how much of it is new?
Before you add more corals you want the new LR to cycle.
How quickly or slowly that happens will depend on how much LR came from your previous tank. That is why it is important to test for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte.

Hey thats easy! Just look at how brown/red the rock is on the bottom. Thats what came from the 24 Gal. I say that was 30lbs so another 30lbs added..maybe a little over. I'll wait another 3-4 weeks. No hurry. Also No pics sorry.:eek:

funkpolice

I have two frags of Red sea Xenia, I think each is two stalks, and one, possibly two, frags of brown Xenia that will be ready to go this weekend. I gave Dre a frag of the red sea Xenia a couple weeks ago, and he said it is doing well in his tank. I'll be out of town this weekend, but maybe fri. night can work. Let me know.
bill

DML08

just curious.. what are your water parameters? I had one of those canister filters when I first started and I couldn't get my nitrates below 20ppm.. I took it off did a HOB overflow with a sump/fuge and now my nitrates stay below 5ppm at all times.. something you should consider before you start loading up with coral's and fish like I did.. IMO..