45 gal RR Cube

glampka

Had to post this before Dave (Uslanja) got on my case so here goes the story of upgrading my 30 gal to the new build:
Tank - 45 gallon RR Marineland cube
Stand - standard Marineland stand for the cube
Lights - BoostLED's Mu Series 135W module
Sump - custom made - nothing else would fit in the stand
Return pump - Mag 5
Circulation - HK Evolutions 750 & 550 run on a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro
Heater - Finnex 200 Watt
Skimmer - ASM G-1

Corals - mostly lps
Fish - clown, sailfin tang, Potter's angel, Falco hawkfish

30 gallon
30.jpg

Custom built sump
Sump.jpg

Inside of stand - sump + 10 gal for top off water - Anyone have a shoe horn?
Sumparea.jpg

Cube with blue Leds
Cube2.jpg

Will take some additional pictures of the tank tonight.

glampka

I prefer to have a large section for any bubbles to break as well as making sure no bubbles are formed in the return section from water cascading over the last baffle. My 3rd sump built this way & never a problem.

Uslanja

Hi glampka! The cube looks Great!! The rockscape looks very nice; tall with lots of holes and room all the way around! Looking Good!! Is there anything left in the 30 gallon? And now, I don't want to become a nag or anything, but you clearly wrote that there would be more photos taken during the evening of the 11'TH and it is already the evening of the 12'TH, and....???????? So, what is the plan for stocking this bad boy?

glampka

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... My time has been devoted to Uncle Sam & his cousin the IRS! 30 is empty & will be up for sale shortly. Hopefully more pix tomorrow after I've recovered from the yearly shock I get @ this time of the year. My wallet is a whole lot lighter @ the moment.

QuentinB

Hey Glampka, following along and awaiting more pictures! I like how you worked the sump and top off water in there!

glampka

Hey Glampka, following along and awaiting more pictures! I like how you worked the sump and top off water in there!

Thanks. Wife didn't want to see any buckets outside the stand so that was my only choice. It's an extremely tight fit. There isn't an inch of space left inside the stand. Sump had to be custom made due to the odd size of the stand - can't fit a 24" standard tank in there.

Uslanja

Hi Gary! Now that just plane old looks good! Oh yeah, and I see the angel, very good looking fish!! Are you getting good flow with the power heads? (And don't you just revel in the tax time experience!!?? I always dread this time of year, I am an American as well as a Canadian and so I file taxes in Canada and the US. Absolutely love the annual experience!! Almost as much as the annual physical, somewhat of the same sensation!!) Tanks looking good! And so, how is the schedule looking... Mighty??

glampka

That's not the angel - it's the sailfin tang. Power flow is awesome. Waiting for the Wavemaker Pro to get here so I can get an alternating flow pattern going. Should be here today.
Lucky you! Get it twice. It's like the doctor forgot to use the lubricant & has little spikes all over the glove!

Earliest for Mighty looks like 1st whole weekend in May. Tied up this weekend & in Walden next.

Uslanja

Hi glampka! Did the wave maker arrive? What make power heads will you run on it? We have a wave maker option with our Digital Aquatic Controller but I'm not sure our Koralia's will run on it. So, we now need to see your ATO setup and of course any new additions that you might have recently acquired for the cube (hint, hint)!! In the FTS above you have a coral on the substrate just left of centre. What is that? The Sailfin Tang is a very nice looking fish!

glampka

Wavemaker has arrived & installed. I have the newer HK Evolutions hooked up to it - a 550 & a 750. It can still handle 2 more powerheads. If you have the original HKs chances are they won't run properly on a wavemaker. They tend to "click" when they start up or run in reverse. The new ones don't have that problem.
Sorry but no pix of the ATO - there's just no room in the stand for me to get decent pictures of everything. I have a kit I got through Aquahub Homepage - comes with 2 switches. Very easy to build.
The coral just to the left of center is a Duncan if that's the one you mean. When I bought it there was only a single head. It has since sprouted 3 or 4 more.
Picked up a new addition this weekend - a chalice. Pictures aren't the best - have an inexpensive P&S
100_0096.jpg

100_0097.jpg

Uslanja

Hi glampka! It might be the Duncan but in the earlier shot it looks different. Is that your Chalice on the substrate to the left of the Duncan? I "Love" Chalice Corals!!

glampka

Hi Dave,
Coming to you from sunny Pensacola Beach. The chalice is the one in post #17. The one is the earlier picture just to the left of the Duncan is a lobophyllia. I rearranged things when I added the chalice.