40 breeder led lighting?

Singlefin

Anyone have any suggestions or pics for lighting for a new 40b build. Hope to keep Sps and maybe eventually a clam. Want to do it right. I was looking at Ai sols or radion but that would run about $1k because I would need two. I'm probably going DIY. I think I figured out my light combo but need a nice fixture. I don't want a top on it so maybe a bracket or hanging kit. This is where I'm stuck. Any help would be great. This is frying my brain trying to figure it out. Thanks

c6e4dd66-84ea-ffa4.jpg

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
A 40b is a great tank. A 6 bulb t5 hangs above mine n i can only run 4 bulbs or they cook stuff.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Check out the Phoenix LED kit from ReefLEDlights.com it's a very nice looking hanging LED housing for your DIY LED light.

dmatt88

Call reefledlights. Their real helpful n can give you good guidance.

........hi I'm matt and I'm technologically inept.

Built347

you would need to hang that kit up a bit.. youll get good coverage
you dont want giant 3w led's right on the water anyway..

Singlefin

Yup. But I don't want it too high. It will be in the main room so I don't want too much overflow of lights or blinding people sitting near or below the tank. Thanks.

Built347

Man from what ive seen and experienced with Leds its either hang em up and deal with the overflow of light or use a somewhat tall canopy.. i have mine hanging 13" from my tank.. partly for coverage and mostly because they are fireballs and will cook any coral that looks at them.. :) (at 50% dim).... use High degree lenses and tilt the light to face the rear of the tank very slightly

the light overflow isnt horrible on my tank the only crappy part is when your sitting down and SEE the bulbs.. wow look away.. so i tilted them to the rear a bit and it helps

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Devon is correct. Light spill from a an LED fixture is something to be concerned about.

Singlefin

Good point. Will have to tilt. The small amount of light that escapes from under my BC29 hood is pretty bright. And it's completely closed. Thanks.

Built347

ive seen some pretty cool canopies where the front and top open as one piece to the rear... as far as canopies go i think that would be nearly painless..