Lighting
2 T5 24w 6700k
2 T5 24w 420nm moonlights

Heater
Aqueon 150w

40 lbs live sand
16 lbs live rock
16 lbs dead rock

Added 3 yellow tail damsels 3 days after it was setup using Dr. Tims. Ammonia never got above .25. Nitrite has always stayed ot 0. Nitrates never got above 2 or 3. Checked every other day with API kit, not the best but will use it until it runs out.
After 3 weeks added cleanup crew. After 4 weeks took out 2 of the damsels and added a purcula clown, a royal dotyback and a peppermint shrimp. Everything seems to be going fine.

10% waterchange every week. Change pads in filter every 2 weeks.

May add a protiem skimmer at a later date, if needed.
Will be adding a chiller this summer.

After tank ages a little more plan on adding a couple of corals and a anenome. Maybe 3 or 4 months.

All of that being said. Plan on adding 1 or 2 more fish. What would go with what I have, that will be reef safe.

thanks RoyB

I just got done setting my 20 gal up going on 5 weeks now I've just added a Royal gramma and an ocellaris clown
What I've heard a lot of people return the damsels after the cycle cuz they get 2 aggressive that's why I didn't go with the yellow tails

RoyB

I just got done setting my 20 gal up going on 5 weeks now I've just added a Royal gramma and an ocellaris clown
What I've heard a lot of people return the damsels after the cycle cuz they get 2 aggressive that's why I didn't go with the yellow tails

Yea, I had 3 damels and returned 2 of them. Seems to be getting along fine so far.

lcstorc

Just as a note for the future it is far more humane to cycle with dead seafood instead of subjecting living creatures to the damage caused by the stress of a cycle. With that being said you will quickly max out on your fish with that size tank. The generally accepted rule is one inch of adult fish per 5 gallons of water. I would say you have room for one or two more smallish fish. Perhaps 3 if you add the protein skimmer and increase the filter changes.
One other note. I would not recommend an anemone. At minimum you want to have your tank established for a year and you will need to have very excellent and stable parameters and high lighting. At least take some time and do lots of research before getting one. Contrary to some opinions clowns do not need anemones. I have two that are quite happy (or at least comfortable enough to breed) without an anemone.
The most important advice I could give is that only bad thing happen quickly in a reef tank. Good things take time and I mean lots and lots of time.
Best of luck.

RoyB

Just as a note for the future it is far more humane to cycle with dead seafood instead of subjecting living creatures to the damage caused by the stress of a cycle. With that being said you will quickly max out on your fish with that size tank. The generally accepted rule is one inch of adult fish per 5 gallons of water. I would say you have room for one or two more smallish fish. Perhaps 3 if you add the protein skimmer and increase the filter changes.
One other note. I would not recommend an anemone. At minimum you want to have your tank established for a year and you will need to have very excellent and stable parameters and high lighting. At least take some time and do lots of research before getting one. Contrary to some opinions clowns do not need anemones. I have two that are quite happy (or at least comfortable enough to breed) without an anemone.
The most important advice I could give is that only bad thing happen quickly in a reef tank. Good things take time and I mean lots and lots of time.
Best of luck.

I agree, would not have used the damsels. but the shop owner told me with the liverock,live sand and Dr Tims that it would not hurt fish. Checked the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates at least every 2 days. They never seemed to go up, so I guess that stuff must work.
Was only planning on 1 or 2 more small fish in about a month. The anemone would come much later. Do you think that I need more light for them? At what point could I add a coral?

thanks RoyB

lcstorc

Rule #1 don't trust the LFS until you have a lot of personal knowledge. Their job is to sell you things and make money not to have a successful tank. If you never saw the spike then I would be skeptical of the cycle to begin with. I would be sure to add the fish one at a time. As far as coral, if your parameters are good and stable and you have the appropriate lighting and flow for the type of coral you want you can add them at any time. They do not add to your bio-load so no problem there.

gbose

You could add maybe 1 or 2 small fish. Perhaps a firefish or a small wrasse. Or a goby.....

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

GBose

reefle

+1 on the firefish. Def. Need better lighting for an anem. I think a small angel would also be good.

RoyB

+1 on the firefish. Def. Need better lighting for an anem. I think a small angel would also be good.

A firefish is high on my list. Not going to try an anemone. Thinking about adding a zoa or mushroom coral first.

ziggy

Best of luck.

=1, I second that!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
A firefish is high on my list. Not going to try an anemone. Thinking about adding a zoa or mushroom coral first.

All good choices, mushrooms and Zoas are good starter corals.