37g Build (PICS!!)

Jason1

I have been looking at making an ATS for my tanks because of the nitrates levels but haven't done it yet. I have the parts, just haven't had time to put it all together. I think I will wait until I merg them into my 180 and do one for the 180 and my BC 14 at the office. The change you got is impressive and I'm glad it worked.

Just make sure you read up. go through this thread and follow the directions santa monica gives and it will work like a dream. Light placement, screen material, flow, and regular cleanings are very very important.

I'll answer any questions you guys have about that too.

nitrate and phospate have been at 0 since this has been installed. only 1 water change.

Rhodes19

Just make sure you read up. go through this thread and follow the directions santa monica gives and it will work like a dream. Light placement, screen material, flow, and regular cleanings are very very important.

I'll answer any questions you guys have about that too.

nitrate and phospate have been at 0 since this has been installed. only 1 water change.

Cool beans. Thanks Jason. :D

Jason1

just a couple more recent pics.

I was checking out my tank looking for changes and I noticed that the shroom in this pic (that is attached to the shell) disappeared.
IMG_2992.jpg

but then I saw this...and lol'd
IMG_3039.jpg

here are a couple more shots of the tank
IMG_3044.jpg

one of my favorite shots of this goby. he has got some awesome blue spots
IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3054.jpg

enjoy =)

goingsalt

I like your tank, I especially like your stand wondering if its wide enough for a 30L im putting together. Where did you get it ?

Jason1

I like your tank, I especially like your stand wondering if its wide enough for a 30L im putting together. Where did you get it ?

I bought everything used on craigslist so I'm not sure where its all from.

The stand is nice, but I would have rather had one without the little door in the front as it has cramped the sump area. My next tank is going to have a very large stand with a sump as least as big as the DT =)

I'll check and see if there is a brand name on it anywhere when I get home though and thanks for the compliments

Jason1

little update.

Got a new ric and a yellow finger gorgonian
Gorg
IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

gorg has a little duster on it too :)
IMG_3067.jpg

purple ric and frogspawn
IMG_3069.jpg

Hairy mushroom
IMG_3059.jpg

clowns
IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

new snail - turbo. love the feather duster on his back :)
IMG_3065.jpg

Wouldnt be a photoshoot without the hawk
IMG_3070.jpg

FTS
IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3072.jpg

I have run into a couple issues the past week or so.
1. I guess my scrubber lights are too close and its burning the growing algae
2. algae has started to grow again in my DT - no idea why
3. the other frogspawn i had that i accidentally crushed the head, got brown jelly and is dead =(

On a lighter note, I got a new light fixture. It is a 6x24w catalina fixture with 6 blue dimmable LED moonlights. I bought it used from byrd on this site. It works great and came with 5 extra bulbs for $140 shipped =). However, I'm not sure that im 100% pleased with it. It has lit up all the dark spots I used to have with the old MH, but the color isn't the greatest (i know i can get new bulbs, but thats another $100+) and even though it is 6 bulbs, I'm still limited by the depth of my tank.

that being said, I decided that I am going to build an LED fixture out of an old Current light fixture that I have lying in my closet.

Jason1

thanks rhodes.

Today, I have started the ordering of the parts for the LED fixture I plan on building. Finally came across a deal on some cree LED's
I got 13 white LED's and 17 royal blues +40 60* optics for $190 shipped from a person on another forum.
I am about to place my order for 3 700ma wired buckpucks with pots, 3 1000ma wired buckpucks with pots, 5 more white LED's, and 1 more royal blue LED from LED supply for $172
then the heatsink from heatsinkUSA $65

so far, $427.

with those optics, it should compare to a 175 watt MH.

Im so excited!

Jason1

well, I abandoned the idea of the LED light. Would have been cool, but after a lot more research, I have learned that people just arnt getting the same success with LED as with the traditional halide system.

so, I am currently bidding on a 30" 250w metal halide fixture. I may also supplement a 2x 24w 30" t-5 fixture for better light spread and actinics.

also, I just build a fuge/sump combo out of a 15 gal tank. I accidentally got the baffles just a little bit too wide so I had to mount them sideways. This was also my first time using silicone, and it really is not easy to do that stuff clean. heres how it came out.

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

fuge area is roughly 12"x12"x10" which is just about 5 gals. Should be enough for my size tank considering I am also running an ATS.

I also found a good deal on a used aqua c remora skimmer that im going to try to pic up as well.

Finally, im looking for a used aqua controller jr with DC 8, serial port, and temp prob minimum. lmk if you have one or know someone that is getting rid of one.

thanks for looking!

Jason1

your baffles look like they all touch bottom.

the middle baffle in the bubble trap doesnt touch the bottom. its pretty close though. I tested it with 2 garden hoses and it works perfect. pretty happy with how it came out

However, the glass i used is very sharp and I cut my hand pretty badly on it (needed stiches, but i didnt go...lol). Nothing a little liquid skin cant fix.

Reefin ain't easy

Rhodes19

However, the glass i used is very sharp and I cut my hand pretty badly on it (needed stiches, but i didnt go...lol). Nothing a little liquid skin cant fix.

Reefin ain't easy

Next time use gardining gloves and sand the edges with 80-100 grit sand paper. That will take the edge off. :)

Jason1

got the sump set up finally.

here it is with the light sitting on top
IMG_3089.jpg

I realized that I wouldnt be able to put any mangroves in with the light just sitting on top so I decided to mount it to the underside of the stand.
IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

Overall, im really happy with the way the project turned out.

Since these pictures, I have added another 20lbs of sand to the fuge portion (total of 30 lbs with a 5" sandbed). Unfortunately, none of the LFS in my area have any chaeto in stock - I checked all the stores within 30 miles of my house (about 6-7). Not sure what im going to do about that...lol. This weekend I am going to head to Miami/northern keys to pic up some mangroves.

I also have a TLF phospate reactor on the way which should be here on thursday =)

Jason1

no skimmer right now. Trying to find a used AquaC Remora to hang on the back of the sump at the moment. I'm actually talking to a few people on other message boards that have them for sale. probably going to run about 100 shipped

Jason1

Hey guys, Its been a while since I have posted anything here, but I have some new stuff to show you all. After my updates above, my tank was over run by algae for a second time. I battled it by adding more filtration and more frequent water changes. I also only leave my lights on for a short time each day and cover the aquarium with a black towel when im not there to keep sunlight or other light out of the aquarium.

Here are some new pics, and 2 videos of my set up. Let me know what you all think.
FTS
IMG_3159.jpg

large pink zoa rock that i got a super good deal on. $40
IMG_3161.jpg

Algae blenny look so cool in pics
IMG_3168.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

midas blenny in his house
IMG_3166.jpg

Vids:
just the aquarium:YouTube - My 37 gallon reef aquarium 1/12/2010
Aquarium and equp: YouTube - My 37 gallon reef aquarium tank, sump, and equipment

as you can see, I have no more algae.