3 Weeks into the cycle, added new dry rock....Questions

RSMRyan

Hi All,

I had some strange looking rock that I recieved with my tank, it was more or less alive, came from a 2 year old established tank. When I got the tank I put new Live sand into the tank and started with the rock they gave me. About 3 weeks in, I decided I wanted more rock, and better looking rock. I kept 1 large piece of the old rock, but the rest is new Dry rock.

Does adding this dry rock disrupt the cycle, and more or less start it over?

I have my theoretical answer, but thought I'd get some opinions.
Thanks!

mtsully71

Hey Ryan, All tanks cycle different especially when adding new and/or established stuff. I believe adding all the new dry rock will basically start your cycle over for the most part. IMO just keep testing for your ammonia to go up then disappear, then your nitrates to follow. You will export your nitrates with water changes. Run your skimmer, leaving lights off helps minimize diatom and other algae growth. Truly the biggest mistake that can be made right now is rushing into adding critters to your tank. I waited 45 days before I even put in snails or crabs. Some people are different, but I error on the side of caution.
When you hit zero ammonia and 0-5 nitrates time to rock it buddy :clownfish: . Take your time, it takes time for a tank to mature. I preach this and believe firmly as some others do. Keep up on your tank WC's and husbandry and you can alleviate a majority of issues down the road.

nitrogen_cycle_graph.jpg

Enjoy the hobby

Sully

DaveK

Yes, making a massive live rock and substrata replacement will really disrupt things. In effect you are removing a massive amount of the good bacteria that you want in a reef system.

So you may see an ammonia and nitrite spike. Then again you may not.

At this point any damage has already been done, so just test for ammonia and nitrite. If the tank has no livestock in it, you can just let things run their course. If it does have livestock, you may need to make large partial water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite down.