3 week Protien Skimmer waite

qsligh

I need a second opinion from the group. I just left my LFS and the person I talked to told me that it takes 3 week to rid my tank of microbubbles from my skimmer. It was stated that the microbubbles will get trapped underneath the coals and kill them. I can understand the killing of the corals, but I need a myth-buster for the three week break-in...Can anyone shed some light on this claim?

Thanks,
QSligh

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Okay.

Micro-bubbles are not likely to kill your corals. They are unsightly, but if you go diving around a reef there are tons of bubbles. Small chance that any harm will from from micro bubbles. Bubbles are not deadly.

It can take up to 3 weeks for a skimmer to break in and stop forming micro bubbles. It may take 3 days. What needs to happen is for a skimmer to develop a surface of bio-film. It happens with all skimmers. When you first turn it on, it creates copious amounts of bubbles, leaking out micro-bubbles. Then the coat of bio-film starts to cover it, and the bubble production drops, and eventually the micro bubbles become manageable or none escape the skimmer. Some designs always create micro bubbles. If this happens in a sump model, easy enough to trap and keep out of the tank.

but all skimmers have a break in period of up to 3 weeks, though it is very unusual for the break in to go past two weeks and often under a week.

qsligh

Thanks Clownfish518 for the advice. I have a Solana 34gal all in one, so I will give it another week and see what happens...I can digest the technical logic more than just accepting the obvious.

qsligh

Thanks Clownfish518 for the advice. I have a Solana 34gal all in one, so I will give it another week and see what happens...