3 triggers 1 tank

Free2talk429

Although almost every forum and resource don't recommend housing certain triggers together, I didn't listen and rescued a niger trigger along with a clown trigger and housed them with my huma huma trigger. All 3 triggers are still relatively small 2-3". As of right now I have not had any issues in fact other than swimming the length of the tank in the open they seem to stick to different areas in the live rock. I am aware that even though they are all getting along now they can and most likely will get more territorial as they get older. So for now I will use this forum to document how they interact and coexist with each other. Let me know if anyone has had experience with these triggers and if possible some tips to make the probability of success higher

ReefApprentice

What size tank are they being housed in? What is the other livestock? Triggers will establish territories as they age and can turn on smaller tankmates one day when they`ve had enough. Following :winky:. And don`t forget to take pictures, clown triggers are gorgeous.

Free2talk429

200 gallon, Koran angel , yellow tang, coral beauty, raccoon butterfly, 2 clarkii clown fish, 6 line wrasse, clean up crew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

I can't say I blame you too much for liking the triggers. They are among the most colorful fish in the aquarium world, and have a lot of personality.

That being said, you have two triggers, the clown trigger and the huma huma trigger, that as they get a bit older and mature usually don't want to live with anything else in the tank. Niger triggers are a bit more docile, so you have a better chance with them.

You have a large tank which may help, but long term your almost certainly going to find new homes for at least two of the triggers. I recommend you start planning for this now. They will grow fast.

While we are on the subject, triggers have strong powerful jaws, and usually make short work of most of your clean up crew. They will thank your for the hors d'oeuvres.

Free2talk429

I can't say I blame you too much for liking the triggers. They are among the most colorful fish in the aquarium world, and have a lot of personality.

That being said, you have two triggers, the clown trigger and the huma huma trigger, that as they get a bit older and mature usually don't want to live with anything else in the tank. Niger triggers are a bit more docile, so you have a better chance with them.

You have a large tank which may help, but long term your almost certainly going to find new homes for at least two of the triggers. I recommend you start planning for this now. They will grow fast.

While we are on the subject, triggers have strong powerful jaws, and usually make short work of most of your clean up crew. They will thank your for the hors d'oeuvres.
Believe me I am aware of the clean up crew being hunted , I think I spend more on snails than anything else lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free2talk429

Here is an update on the triggers. So far they all get along with each other even seen them bring each other food(still processing that one!!!) I did have a death tho I am not sure who or what but my raccoon butterfly was fine one minute and dead the next I have my suspicions it was the clown trigger but can't prove it. I have the tank on watch to make sure nothing out of the ordinary happens

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I knew someone years ago who kept a 90 FOWLR with a niger trigger, humu humu, a lion, and a snowflake eel. They seemed to be fine together. Snails and hermits didn't stand a chance in that tank tho. I also vaguely remember seeing an urchin in the tank, too.

cracker

This will be interesting to watch ! With the 6 ' tank it's a good size for the test. How long have the 3 been in the tank? Knowing it was a big risk, it is noble of You to rescue these fish and if You have to find a home for them , You still win !

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Bear in mind that mean fish can be nice, and nice fish can be mean. There's always exceptions with saltwater. I had a 6" clown trigger with a 5" blue throat trigger get along for years with no issues. Blue throats are probably a small bit nicer than nigers, yet semi-reef safe in some situations.

I would just keep them well fed and just see what happens. If they grow up together, they might end up getting along. Your aquarium might not be big enough to set up proper territories anyhow, since in the ocean they are relatively nomadic except during breeding, meaning very large territories. Not a microterritorial species like a small angel or clown.

Jeff

cracker

speaking of territory. Is it possible/practical to change the aquascape once in awhile to stop territorial issues?

DaveK

speaking of territory. Is it possible/practical to change the aquascape once in awhile to stop territorial issues?

With some fish this is possible. With triggers, I'd say no. They get larger, generally each once considers their "fair share" of the tank to be 100%. In addition, triggers are noted for re-aquascapeing the tank to their "specifications" not yours. It's amazing how big a rock they can move.