3 Clownfish 1 tank???

Tonz of fun

I have done lots of research on this but I wanted to ask everyone here what they thought...I have 1 clownfish that is in the tank now and it has been in there for 18 months. I have 1 med to large RBTA. I am going to buy 2 picassos from Woodstock. Do you think they can coexist? I have a 55g corner tank with 3 other fish in the tank...

lcstorc

Personally, I wouldn't try it. What type of clown is the original? That can make a big difference as well. It certainly can be done, but I am rather conservative about such things.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I think you have a percula or ocellaris in there now?
There is no guarantee that two will coexist and getting three to is an even bigger gamble. However, getting one pair from the three will work well. Just be prepared to remove one if you go that route.
There will be squabbling for a few weeks either way.

cbrownfish

Can be done in some situations but is not recommended without having a huge system. Often one will die.

ReefSki

I would say either go with the Picasso pair or stick with the one clown fish that you have. I would not try all three together.

new reefer 03

my dad had a pair of clowns that were great 2gether. then he boughjt another pair, out of those 4 clowns one was rejected and moved to my tank leaving 3. now all 3 of those clows share his carpet anemone, and get along great! he has a 100g.

seafansar

How long does it typically take for the 3rd clownfish to be rejected?

With clarkii clowns (a more aggressive species), fighting starts immediately. I had two together for a while that didn't want to pair up. They weren't mean to each other, just stayed at opposite sides of the tank. I added a new tiny clarkii with cool markings (white eyebrows!) to see what would happen. The medium clown immediately started chasing the poor little guy around. I had to catch the medium one and sell it.