29 gallon reef.

duz115

I currently have a 29 gallon reef with 4 36" t-5. I just bought a 250 watt coral vue halide ballast with 20k bulb and lumen bright reflector. The halide is for my new set up that i am working on , a 93 cube. What i am thinking of doing is putting the halide over the 29 and start acclimating the corals to the light. I was thinking of starting the light higher up and lowering it. Just looking for other peoples opinions.

cbrownfish

A 250W bulb on 29 gallons of water volume would be a lot of heat and may cause the tank itself to overheat. Most larger cubes are pretty tall, I would just start corals on the bottom of the new set up and move them higher over time.

nstiesi

I have a 150w halide over my 29 and I need to blow fans across the sump just to keep it under 82.

burning2nd

i have 2x150 over a 30 about 2" form the water...

granted your key is gonna be hanging the lights and moveing them a few feet up first and slowly working your way dwn... Also giveing your self to learn the temperature change that will come with this new light...

IMO i would save the bulb, and save the ballast some ware time and leave it be... your coarl will have enough to go thur when being moved, why start the process now.