24g aquapod pump/pwrhd???

jerrad0328

hi nano-folks, ive had my 24g aquapod for about a year now and im just now starting to really discover what all that you can do with it, in the way of MODS. such as the filtration methods/setup whether or not to toss the bioballs of death and bluefoam, how to get maximum flow with the stock pump or change it out for a better/cooler running MJ-900. It seems everyone has a different opinion about this stuff. but then i guess thats what forums like these are for. i have a few questions that i cannot seem to figure out on my own, such as why is there so much mucky algae in my tank, i have a cleaner shrimp 2 turbo snails a chocolate chip starfish and 2 damsels in there right now, but it still seems like they cant keep up with how fast stuff starts growing on the sand and the LR. also, what on earth are these weird bubbles that form on the LR?? their dime size and it seems like air is getting trapped under the algae and it just sits and accumulates until it looks like some kind of alien spawning ground.. gross. can anyone help me with this stuff i want a cool looking reef but even the LFS guy seems like he doesnt even know, or maybe he doesnt want to help unless i buy something first. best regards nano-reefers, jerrad

jerrad0328

family_pics_063.jpg

lcstorc

Sounds like you need some sand sifting cleanup crew. Try a fighting conch or some nassarius snails. They keep the sand turned over. Also watch your nitrates and phosphates. They are feeding the algae and you need to lower your levels to starve the algae out.

CATALYST

Where are you getting your water from? I know that my algae starts growing when it's time to change the filters in my RO. The snails do help with the algae. For filter in my pod I use purigen, chemipure, a skimmer and a small piece of the blue foam for the overflow that I clean every day or every other day. You might try putting some macro algae of some sort in your tank too. Then it will eat up the bad stuff and grow instead of the micro algaes.

jerrad0328

just returned from LFS with a nice clump of caulerpa, i tried a differant LFS this time and discovered some rather disturbing news about the other shops so called owner that has been "helping" me with my new hobby. the new shop guy has been around forever and WOW i would love to post some shots of his amazing reefs, he does the normal tank style but then he also has these very shallow and wide pond like tanks that he grows all sorts of softies and everything else you can imagine, needless to say i will be averting my business to this new shop, i never knew how much more you could get for your buck and... well im staring to sound like a commercial. so im gonna try this caulerpa and water changes more frequently and well see how much happier my tank will be. sorry for the long post, its just nice to finally get some insight from the pros.

lcstorc

Glad you found a new lfs that you like.
Be careful though about taking advice from the lfs. Remember they are in business to sell you something. Some owners and employees will be smart and give you good advice to get a long term customer. Others are not. Just be sure to do your own research before spending a bunch of money.

jerrad0328

heres some pics of my tank as of tues 5/29/07 all levels are pretty stable, ive been getting my water from the LFS that i heard all thae bad stuff about, then this new guy at another shop showed me these cool ready made boxes of saltwater you can buy, like 5 gal of pure untainted saltwater for like 10bucks so i will try that for my next WC. thanks for all the insight guys, much appreciated.

lcstorc

Tank is coming along. I love the big rock with the cave underneath it.
I'm not sure if you already know this or not, but that starfish is not reef safe. It is likely to munch out on your corals pretty quickly. This is definitely true about the chocolate chips, but I have read it said about all of the stars that have that body style. Just wanted to mention it if you don't know.

jerrad0328

this is my tank as of 6/9/07 ive added some more LR, along with a pulsating zinea <--- not sure on the spelling and a hairy mushroom, im down to one yellowtail damsel for now, cleanup crew includes several snails a banded shrimp and some hermits. i also added some very fine caulerpa to the back tank for added filtration. any added thoughts are welcome. jerrad
family_pics_115.jpg
[/IMG]