20L Pump Size

R.yumaDaddy?

Im helping a friend with the setup of a 20 long reef connected to a 10 gal sump. Were uncertain of what size (gph) pump to use for 4 1/2" outlets in the main tank, considering normal head loss. The pumps were looking at are either a Mag 3, 5, or valved down 7. Any sug's. The tank will house a little of everything; sps, mushrooms, zoas, LPS.

pmac90

I personally like running it slower through the sump and have "flow" from powerheads. so, if powerheads are going to be added to the tank, i say the mag 3 maybe the 5 with the amount of outlets. I had a 7 on a 90 gallon. how is the sump going to be setup??

meandean45

Go with the Mag 3, and you'll probably need to valve it down for a 20 L. Four 1/2" outlets only flow a little less than one 1'' outlet will. Your' freind should have plenty of water motion, and a turn over rate of about 8 times per hour.
Good luck!
Dean

R.yumaDaddy?

Were going for a really clean look, without an powerhead or mechanical distractions in the maintank. The sump as of now is just a holding tank to add volume to the setup as well as provide flow woithout powerheads and house carbon and heater.