20 gallon build

Lemonpeel

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on. I'm going to end up setting up my 20 gallon for the 3rd and (Hopefully) last time. 3rd time's the charm right? Anyway, I decided that when I do it this time, I'm going to do it right and get everything I've always wanted for an SPS tank. For start up anyway. I'm not planning on a phosphate remover or calcium reactor, yet. Anyway, here is a list of the equipment that I feel like I should get. I still have the salt from the 90 gallon that I just sold tonight. as well an Aquaticlife skimmer that I might upgrade and my T-5 Oddysea that I may upgrade to LED's.

Nature's Ocean Reef Sand and Reef Substrate 20 lb Reef Sand

Theo Heater 100 watt

Hydrometer 1.000 to 1.030 specific gravity

EcoTech Marine VorTech EcoSmart Propeller Pumps MP10 ES

Rotating Deflector FLO

Premium Activated Carbon Pelleted 950 ml

Drs. Foster & Smith Media Bags Fine Mesh Drawstring 3" x 4" 6 pk

Reef Pack: Fundamentals 100 ml each

SEA-LAB #28 Automatic Replenisher 1/2 lb. jar

Prime Reef Flakes 2.5 oz

Reef Bugs™ 3 oz

Reef Snow 17 oz

I may 86 the Vortech and just get another Koralia as I have one out with my fish supplies. I have 30# of now base rock that was alive... Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away... Sorry, my inner geek comes out every so often.

For the LED I am looking into the AI nano but, how is that for lighting up SPS and being in a canopy? will it end up overheating? Should I get a fan to install on the back of the canopy?

I'll get pics up of how my tank was before the green hair of death as soon as I become reacquainted with how it works again.

All input is greatly appreciated. I'm glad that I made my way back to the forum after being inactive for almost a year. I kinda gave up with everything when it went down the last time. I'm hoping that I'll be able to put more time and effort into this tank as I just sold my 90 tonight. Missing it already. I just couldn't handle the electric with 2 MH's at 175 per bulb, 2 PC's at 96, heater, skimmer and return pump. Not to mention my power heads and fans. I don't want to give it up all together which is why I am buckling down on this 20. I'm hoping to get it set up by June 20th and cycling with a molly or 2. I can them acclimate them back to Fresh water and drop them in my 55 tropical tank.

bullet

Welcome back !!! We are new to this lifestyle/hobby so all I can say is enjoy it again and don't kill yourself trying to do it all at once.

Lemonpeel

I've been thinking about getting everything in bits and pieces but I want to get the office done first. Sell a huge computer desk and save up some. I figured, after the office is done, I can then order everything I need and get everything set up the way I want it. Still haven't decided to go with a pre built LED or to do a DIY even though I suck at electrical work.

Putt

I've been thinking about getting everything in bits and pieces but I want to get the office done first. Sell a huge computer desk and save up some. I figured, after the office is done, I can then order everything I need and get everything set up the way I want it. Still haven't decided to go with a pre built LED or to do a DIY even though I suck at electrical work.

Your last sentence should make it an easy decision. I'am sure you will have a really nice set-up when starting with a clean slate.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome back. The one thing that I would change on your list would be the hydrometer. I wouldn't trust them after 1-2 uses. Invest in a refractometer and feel more confident about the true salinity of your tank. I'd probably opt for the korralia powerheads, too. imo, vortechs would be a lot in a 20g unless you ran them on the lowest setting which defeats the purpose of a vortech.

Lemonpeel

Thanks Putt. Now I'm trying to decide between the ecotech raidon and the AI nano.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Putt

Can't offer any advice on the lighting, but you should follow whippetguy's advice on the refractometer.

Putt

Lemonpeel

Awesome thanks guys that helps me out a ton. I'll see what I can do. So 2 koralias? How about the wave maker? Anyone have any experience with them? I want to create as much random flow as I can in the tank.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If you are looking for random flow, you might want to consider the Jebao WP-10 Wave Maker instead of the koralias.