20 gal tank overflow to sump

AJK

Hi friends,
Getting ready to build a sump, but confused on overflow. I have seen several different methods, from pvc siphon to cpr,. I have no idea what to do for overflow on 20 gal tank.

I was thinking of using an old whisper 30 filter, drill a hole at the bottom, add a bulkhead. Water will pump into 2nd chamber, draining down into sump. Has anyone tried it like this before ?

Minimum cpr overflow rate at 600 gph, seems excessive for 20 gal, on all cpr overflow I've reviewed ?

Has anyone used a canister filter with sump, to get water into sump/back to tank ? Price of an overflow, I could buy a canister filter

I have a CoralLife super skimmer 65, works hob or sump, the skimmer is huge, pump is massive inside the tank, reason I would like to build a sump.

Decisions, decisions, decisions, help would be appreciated.
Thanks AJ

Anselth

I would most definitely not use two pumps. Unless they stay at the same rate at all times, you'll overflow either your display tank or your sump. And with age, one will slow down faster.

I have heard poor review about cpr style overflows, specifically that they can lose siphon, which will cause a mess. I have used U-tube style overflows exclusively since setting up my first tank and never had an issue with them. Check your LFS, they should have some inexpensive ones.

Also, I'm not sure about the minimum flow thing. As long as your return pump pumps slower than the overflow (never faster!), it should be fine.

AJK

Hello friends, thanks for sharing idea's. @Hbop, I've viewed your sump system pic/vid, wonderful job :thumbup:

A sump is the most confusing project, I have ever done in my engineering career, Lol !!!! Now, I'm sitting here thinking of using my skimmer to pump water with hose from display, then water coming out of skimmer into sump. Most of the vids, I've viewed with 10 gal sump, skimmer like mine, only have skimmer and live rock inside sump. No bubble trap. So, instead of having water drain down to sump from overflow to skimmer pump compartment, why? not just have skimmer suction water with hose down to sump. Good idea ? Any thoughts ?

Well, I'm off to buy a long hose, to see if it works with a bucket. I have two 10 gal, one 15 gal and one 20 gal long tanks to build sumps with.

I'm still thinking of using my whisper filters, to build an overflow. Doesn't hurt to experiment. If all experiments fail, then I'll purchase overflow. I can use 30 and 10 whisper, put them together with a brace, slap a u hose on, bulkhead, and see what happens. Spare parts from my fw tanks over the years.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have a cpr overflow n its horrible.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

AJK

Wow DMatt !! sorry to read this. I've read alot of mixed reviews on cpr overflow. If you decide to get another one, wishing it works well for you :)

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I suppose I should b more specific. I have 2 issues. Keeping siphon going requires constant messing with. Secondly its virtually impossible to clean.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk