2 tanks on one system good or bad?

fishtk75

Does anyone have more than one tank and have them hooked together on one sump system? Is that good or bad?
I was looking to hook the 75 I have to 120 tank to save electric. The 120 system I have with skimmer,sump and return pump to handle 250 gallons. As I see some have big refugium hooked up why not 75 tank.

DaveK

Like anything else, there is no one hard fast answer. There are advantages and disadvantages to putting two tanks on one sump.

The advantages are that you have a larger water volume, and that with the two tanks you can keep fish that normally are not reef safe or otherwise incompatible in a reef system.

The down side is that you have one large system and if there is a problem, you have everything at risk. for example if you have a disease problem both tanks have the problem.

The key here is what are you trying to gain by doing this? If the gain is minimal, then your better off with two seperate systems.

fishtk75

Like anything else, there is no one hard fast answer. There are advantages and disadvantages to putting two tanks on one sump.

The advantages are that you have a larger water volume, and that with the two tanks you can keep fish that normally are not reef safe or otherwise incompatible in a reef system.

Well I QT all. I was hoping to save on electric and not have some much with two systems. I got new bigger and better sump for my 120 tank and have each tanks on their own lines to the sump.

The down side is that you have one large system and if there is a problem, you have everything at risk. for example if you have a disease problem both tanks have the problem.

The key here is what are you trying to gain by doing this? If the gain is minimal, then your better off with two seperate systems.

I QT all and save on electric.

fishtk75

was to save electric and dual systems items to clean and both on each own lines to the bigger sump I have.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If you QT, besides the things that Dave stated, it seems like it would be a good idea. I've thought about doing it if I were to start a second tank.

Mike Johnson

Two things that I would make sure of: One, when the electric goes off the sump has enough space where it won't overflow. Two, if the overflow clogs or quits, the return section of the sump will run dry before the tanks overflow. Both these things have happened to me and I can happily report I haven't had a flood.

may2024

I ran a 75 and 25 on the same sump for a long time never had any big problems made the maintenance a little easier less equipment to clean.

My phone.

Choff

I have multiple tanks plumbed into my sump.

Imo Ease of taking care of 1 large system out weighs any reason you can throw at me not to do it. That said, you have to be able to take the parameters mike Johnson mentioned strongly into consideration. At minimum the sump has to handle the water volume with all power off and I would not rely on a check valve to do it. If my overflow clogs... I'm screwed though. :D

...stupid auto correct