2 Gal Cookie Jar- Help me set it up?

Draco

So, I have this empty cookie jar.. it's 2 gals.

Detail-LargeJarWithTea_x.jpg

I am going to turn it into a mini-reef with some sexys or other tiny shrimps, and of course, corals.

I am not sure what I need.. HELP.

I have for it:
Heater
LR (from my existing tank)
K-something powerhead

• I am thinking of going for a par 38 bulb as its decent sized.. any other suggestions would be great!
• How would I go about for filter? the round shape is throwing me off. Should I do without since I am keeping inverts and coral?
• I am thinking bare-bottom. What do you think?

Any other suggestions would be wonderful!

Kremlin

I prefer sand. I don't like the look of bare bottom. This is just my opinion, but I think there is no right or wrong answer here.

Draco

I'm not sure. I am considering 'pest' corals.. the ones no one likes. I haven't really decided yet

bullet

Have you figured a filter ? can you use one of those sponge filters with an air pump like a FW tank and just use a proportioning valve to turn down air flow

Draco

A sponge filter is a good idea. I may have to go that route.

I am now considering a FW Planted. oi. lol

bullet

The wife thinks it's a neat idea now her wheels are turning.... She wants to know whats the smallest vessel a person could set up and maintain for any extent with SW

Draco

lol, tell her to go for it! From what I'm reading.. the smaller, the shorter lived it is. Who knows? I think a cookie jar in the kitchen would be a great idea

Draco

ha. Well, I don't have anything to set it up with today.. it would've been a good day since I have off from work. stupid snow. Maybe this weekend I can gather materials and start it up

bullet

we got about 8 inches of snow and haven't seen the mail man so I don't think FedEx is coming today either:cry1: Ok so it's not quite that bad but waiting is no fun

Draco

Hope you got your new toy :)

I am going to pick up the sand and filter today so I can start to set it up! I'll get the light online, no rush for that since lighting isn't needed at this time.

I got some LR from my 9 gal that didn't quite fit and is piled in the back, so I know I'll have nice live rock. How long can it be out of the water before the bacteria dies off? Just keep it moist at least?