1st T5 light purchase advice

NewburyNewbie

I finally have my son's 80gal set up. This is our first tank with live rock and sump. Livestock are finally getting settled. We are really excited about the opportunity to have a tank with corals. We just need lights. From everything I've read from others, it's better to go with a T5 with a least four bulbs. Our glass tank is 48L x 18W. The tank did not come with a top so I custom ordered a piece of plexiglass to cover it. This will be ready in two days. We do have a matching canopy. I don't have the funds to go all out for lighting. The person helping said he could get a used Suntek (I believe) but bulbs will have to be replaced. He is suggesting a new Aquaticlife T5 4bulb w/ LEDs that has built in timers. We talking about $200 used unit with new bulbs no timers vs. a new better unit w/LEDs and timer for around $350. Should I bite the bullet? I was hoping to spend no more than $200 for decent used unit instead of buying a cheapie on EBay. Any other suggestions?

DanSReef

My two cents worth..... Bite the bullet. I got a cheapy T-5 light with my tank when I bought it off of CL. I recently upgraded to an AquaticLife 48" HO T-5 four bulb unit with a built in timer and moon light led lights.... and the difference is night and day. I personally wished I had that fixture when I first set up the tank. Check on-line from MarineDepot, Dr Fosters & Smith or AquaCave to see who can get you the light...cheapest. My LFS matched what I could get it for on-line. Also, AquaticLife really has nice customer service from what I have seen. Which.... if something goes wrong...broken leg or problem with the timer.... they seem to stand behind their products.

Good Luck. Share pictures when you can!

NewburyNewbie

A buddy helping me with everything said the Aquaticlife is normally around $370 but could get it for $340. I agree, it looks great. I'll try those sites.

Val

So 200 for the used light, another 80 or so for new bulbs.. You are up to 280, I would go another 60 dollars and get the new unit with a warrenty. I own 3 Aquaticlife lights and my 48" 4 bulb did have a problem with the led moonlights going out. Aquaticlife shipped me new leds at no cost to me. They do have great customer service.

Skyreefer

Hey if you're on a tight budget I would suggest getting the AquaticLife T5 HO Light Link Fixture - Marine. I had an old light fixture die on me and I had to quickly buy a new light and was maxed out on buying new gear. So I bought a 48" Aquatic Life linkable fixture and I love it. Great light output, durable and I love the fact that I can link 2 more fixtures to it. It's a little over $100 for the dual fixture, and since your budget is $200 this may be your best bet for now. Good luck.

seabass

You can also look at catalina aquiriums.They have a decent light for the price.They have a 48" 4 bulb t5 light for $209 right now.I have a 36" 2 bulb and also have bought a 48" 4 bulb and both been working great.And bulbs come with the light.

BigFish11

+1 for Catalina, i got my lights from them. The guy there is super helpful and builds his own lights, so you should be able to work something out. I would check them out

seabass

I had both of mine now for atleast a year.If you call them ask for bill he helped me.The 48" 4 bulb is over a 55 and everything grows but the birdsnest in it.If you can get the 6 bulb which I think measure like 10 inches across it will be better but then again they are still the bulbs he sent with it so maybe some ati bulbs or something will help the 4 bulb.I'm looking into getting the 30" 6 bulb for my frag tank and doing away with the 175w halide

TylerHaworth

I'm also a fan of Catalina for entry level T5 lighting... That's what I started with... Decent lights and good customer service at a very good price!