150 mile LFS adventure

Stalwart

Well instead of riding up to NJ and ILC, I decided to make a tour of some of the LFS in Maryland. I visited four stores and I will briefly discuss my observations of each. All of these stores are both fresh and salty, but for obvious reasons I will concentrate on the salty side.

First, I visited Scales tropical fish warehouse.

http://www.scales-tfw.com/

While the store was clean and well lit, it was very light in saltwater stock. One coral tank (12 frags), a couple tanks of LR and 1 tank of critters. While he has a ton of tanks for saltwater, most are empty. I spoke with Andrew, the owner, as he was running around like the proverbial chicken, trying to arrange the pickup of his delivery of saltwater fish that was stuck at the airport. He plans to expand the saltwater department as the demand rises.

They are having a pretty good sale on All Glass tanks; check out the web site for pricing and variety.

Andrew stocks a limited quantity of salt related dry goods, and I believe it will be some months before this store is, what I would consider, a good LFS for reefers. TWO STARS

Second, I visited Congressional Aquarium in Rockville

http://www.congressionalaquarium.com/

This store nestled in the corner of a small strip mall, with limited parking was very well stocked and carried a variety of specimen. They carried the usual suspects and a few more unique critters (octopus, shark eggs). I did notice that a few of the fish (more than two or three) had issues with their eyes. I would describe it as appearing like a cataract. Their motto is "The cleanest tanks in town". I must admit, it was a pretty clean store. Well staffed with helpful employees, that appeared to my limited experience, to be pretty knowledgeable. Prices, now here is where I was put off. Prices are high. Two comparisons of note: Maxi-jet 1200 $43.95 Kent Marine Tech CB 2 part $13.99@. This is way more than any of the other stores I had visited. The ranges for these two products at the other 3 stores were MJ1200 $22-$26 and Kent Tech CB 2 part $8-$8.50. LR selection was very limited.THREE STARS, this would be a four star establishment if it were not for the prices.

Third, I visited Aquarium Center in Randallstown Maryland.

http://www.aquariumcenter.com/

A pretty large store, well lit, with a HUGE inventory of both wet and dry goods. I would guess that there are no less than 100 aquariums for sale, on display, from nanos to 200+ gal. Great variety of fish, inverts and corals. Prices were very good and the staff, well, lets say some of them were helpful. The store was clean and well lit. Limited LR selection. This was, all around, the best of the four stores I visited, as far as selection is concerned. FOUR STARS

Finally, I visited what I call "my LFS", Exotic Aquatics in Carney, Maryland.

http://www.exoticaquatics.com/

EA is probably the smallest of the four places I visited, but they pack a nice selection into that space. Great display tanks and a nice selection of frags and larger corals. Prices are good and the staff is helpful, although some are a bit arrogant; which I can deal with, if they know what they are talking about. Nice LR selection, Many fish, and other critters.

So far, other than online, this is the only LFS I have bought from. The store is well staffed, well lit, well stocked and clean. All of the employees stay pretty busy, but they will take the time to walk you down the aisles and explain things, or answer any questions. As a test yesterday, I was planning on adding an Anemone and an O. Clown to my tank, I told one of the employees that I wanted an O. Clown, and pointed one out. Instead of just bagging him up, he said, "Lets see if he will eat” Good Job. FOUR STARS.

Sorry for the length of this post, I just wanted to relate my experiences on my 150 mile LFS adventure.

blue_eyes53813

Good idea Mark,,,, You get a five star for your efforts....If I owned a store I would be nervous to have you come... JK... Did you Buy anything?

Gina

RS STAFF
Excellent report!

The Aquarium Center is what we call our LFS.
They have done some re-arranging in the last month.
Mark really likes this store for the large selection of aquariums they have.
They usually have a large selection of LR, they must have been low when you went.
I would like to see more of a collection of corals though, on the lines of Exotic Aquatics.

We have been to Exotic Aquatics probably 4 times in the last year and a half. Even though this store is smaller than the Aquarium Center, I liked their selection of corals a little better.
The one issue I had with them was I had bought a Bali Blue Enchanata about 2 or 2 1/2 years ago for $150.00. It was about 3" tall. I found out later that if I had done my homework, I could have gotten it much cheaper somewhere else.

You should check out our LFS Database and add the stores you went to if they are not already in!

Good Job!

lcstorc

I'll be there yes, but kind of afraid what airport security would have to say about bringing corals onto the plane as carry-on. LOL I can just see me trying to explain. Of course if we have time and something is absolutely irresistable I may chance it or see if they will ship for me.

Witfull

ill be more than happy to drive it home with me,,,ill ship it out after it grows out and i frag it a few times~~

lcstorc

LOL. Might just do that. At least then I would know it was healthy and happy when it went in the tank.
LOL

boozeman

on my way back from
pa...Don't remember if it was on the Pa tpk or NJ tpk...there was a huge billboard with a clownfish and said areas largest LFS(must be if they can afford a highway billboard)..anyone know of this shop?

btw..yes my son yelled out..''look daddy its Nemo!!''

Presto2345

It would be nice to have more reports like that posted for people so that we can make better choices as to which LFS's are worth visiting.

boozeman

pardon for hijacking this thread but, are they any good lfs that are worth the visit on my drive back to New York from Baltimore next sunday?