125 gallons of water w/ 3.5% Sodium Chloride

Big Jay

I had some small tanks as a kid but nothing serious. I little out of high school I had a 29g salt tank with a few small fish. No reef, no rock. Again this was nothing serious because I had my eyes on fast cars and faster women. Fast forward a dozen years and my pet iguana (6 foot lizard, Fred) was in a 125g terrarium. When my Fred died (RIP) the tank sat empty for a few years. Then I cleaned it up to sell it. I decided to try out freshwater fish for awhile. I bought a bunch of filters, air pump, plants, gravel, heater, etc. I rocked that tank for about a year. I killed a lot of fish learning the hard way but in the end I had a few fish that had grown rather large and made for a tasty snack when it was time to tear it down. Just kidding. I went to a home show where one of the local saltwater fish stores had set up a display. On display they had a Oceanic Biocube 29. It was filled with rock and coral and fish. It was small, sleek, contained. Purrrrfect, MMMWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I went down to the store and bought a BC29 for $200. I got a great deal. I took it home and ravaged the box to get inside. WAALA! Tank, hood, pumps, filters it was all so beautiful. I filled the little tank, checked for leaks and emptied it. I went to a bunch of stores buying all the usual stuff. Heater, a better timer, hydrometer, K1, thermometer, and a stand. I bought some LIVE SAND (WOOOOOO) and salt. I mixed the salt with distilled water from Wally World. Just imagine the look on the cashier's face when 29 one gallon jugs roll up to her check out stand. She asked me if I wanted bags. DOH! I mixed the water 5 gallons at a time and filled her up. The next day I went and bought some rock. I went to all the LFSs in the area and proceeded to pay way to much for Fiji rock. I got home and after about 3 hours of playing with the puzzle I called it, good enough.
Scape1.jpg

I added the sand last and for 3 days it was so cloudy I couldn't see a thing. Stupid sand. Then I stirred it up when I did this.
Scape2.jpg

When the sand settled I added a clown fish and a Chomis. Not knowing anything about the cycle of Live Rock.

A few more days and a lot of filter floss I did this. Stupid sand.
Scape3.jpg

Then this:
Scape5.jpg

And finally I settled with this.
Scape6.jpg

I went through a lot of learning. Hours and hours on the internet reading articles, magazines and forums. And after 2 years the BC29 came to look like this.
DSC_0722.jpg

You could see why I needed to upgrade. I'm not one of those fanatics that go to frag swaps and such so I needed somewhere to put my stuff. After a few months of searching I found a great deal on my current 125.

For $1000 what I got was a massive amount of stuff. Coming across a person getting out of the hobby and not just upgrading was the hot ticket. On top of the tank, stand and canopy was every Salifert test kit made,
A bunch of Red Sea test kits, refractometer, pair of gloves, Rio 1100, 2 Koralia 2's, Koralia 3, Koralia 4, Loc-line pliers, 3 Stealth 250w heaters, Hydrometer, Bag-o-floss, Bag-o-Loc-line, Bag-o-snail shells, 2x18w PC Coralife 'fuge light, 2 power strips, 1 Coralife Day/Night timer, some foods, supplements and additives.

In the Canopy was 2, 250w Illuminarc MH reflectors with Icecap Ballasts, 4x65w PC Coralife Actinics,18 LED moon lights,2 Sets of 4-bank 12v fans.

In the sump was an ASM skimmer, the sump looks like 30g, the return pump is a Little Giant 4.
Resize1.jpg

resize3.jpg

resize2.jpg

The first order of business was to change his set up to MY set up. I traded some frogspawn (I had over 30 heads at one point) for a Iwaka pump and added it to the sump. I then bought 2 SCWDs and sent the returns through the back and up to the canopy instead of up the overflow. The whole goal was to keep as much equipment out of the display as possible. I split each return and then split those with Loc-line. 16 outlets. All in the canopy and barely visible. The problem was the flow. 6ft of head pressure and a SCWD was killing the flow rate.
resize4.jpg

So I took all 5 of my Koralia pumps (3-2K2s, 1-K3, 1-K4) and added them to each side of the overflow pointing towards the ends of the tank. After fixing a couple of leaks I drained it, filled it with 70% RODI and 30% tap. Tropic Marin Salt and let it flow for a week. I had a major storm on the horizon though. A 16 day vacation, and no way to keep my BC29 alive while I was gone.

I found a couple of people selling rock on craigslist. Seasoned, bug free Live Rock. I added it and some Black sand. I took my BC29 apart. All the rock that had caulupra on it went to the sump. All the rock with important corals went up top. Using the rock I bought I built towers using 1/2" acrylic rod and a little epoxy. I mounted my ATO and off to Australia I went. Good luck fish, I muttered as I went out the door.

I returned home from vacation and to my surprise the house sitters managed to keep everything alive.

Over the next couple of months I struggled with pH. The black sand was killing me. I was beginning to hate the tank. I did a total of 5 water changes at 35 gallons a piece over the course of a week and in the process i sucked out most of the black sand, a few hermits and my royal gramma. The hermits and the fish lived the sand was tossed in favor of white sand. I also added another 30 pounds of Live Rock. This put my total around 140 pounds, give or take 10.
DSC_0317.jpg

I will post more when I get some better pictures to upload for some current shots.

Big Jay

Here are a few pictures from today. Getting full tank shot are hard because the afternoon sun makes for some bad reflections during the best time to photograph.

This is a hammer that I got from a LFS for cheap. Actually I'm pretty cheap all around so just about everything I have in the tank was probably 40+% off. I don't buy stuff unless the deal is sweeter than a double dutch chocolate cake dip in sugar glaze.
April2010.jpg

This is Juliet. She is my little sweetheart. For a female clown fish she is very relaxed and easy going. Except towards the blue damsel She hates him. She also hated the tomato clown but got over it after a month.
April201010.jpg

This is Felix and Oscar. The Odd Couple. Everyday the door caves in and everyday Oscar fixes it. Felix brings Oscar food (he really does, spits in right in the door) and they are pretty brave for being so small.
April201011.jpg

This the blue devil. It is a Yellow tailed Damsel. NOBODY likes this fish. Even the Chromis pick on it. But he is a trooper. I picked him up from a guy that was NEGLECTING his tank. I was surprised he could live in such horrible conditions. So here he is face forward. Kinda wild I got this shot.
April201012.jpg

This is Nibblets. Always poking around. Never stopping for a picture. Hard to catch this one in the open. She's getting big now. I had her for over 2 years and she's probably doubled in size. I actually was pretty bummed out because I though I lost her. It turned out she found her way into the back chamber of my BC29. I didn't finder her till I dumped out the last five gallons onto my side yard. I picked her up 3 different times and tossed her in the tank thinking she was a goner. Nope! Here she is!
April201013.jpg

This is Arson. Another fish that is extremely camera shy. This is actually my second Angel. The first didn't make it but was quick enough about it to allow me an exchange. So far this fish has been good. It doesn't bother anything.
April201014.jpg

This is some green tipped torch. I actually love euphyllia and find my self getting more and more. Octospawn and yellow tipped torch is next on the menu.
April201015.jpg

These Palys were more purple when in my BC29. I guess the MH is starting to morph them a bit. I'm ok with the change.
April201016.jpg

This is Cher. She is a fiery, nasty, mean little bugger. She HATES the Mag-Float and even more she hates my arm. I don't have to go in often but when I do a few flicks of my fingers and she hides for a bit. It doesn't hurt when she bites/bumps but it is quite annoying.
April201018.jpg

This is Romeo. I have had him the longest. I got him when a LFS was moving and he was on sale for $10 as a Onyx Percula. It has taken about 2 years for him to color up to this point. I got him in November of '07 when he was about an inch long. He was kinda skinny and shy. It wasn't until Juliet showed up that he started to host the frogspawn. Now he will eat from my hand.
April20102.jpg

This is Cole. He is a yellow eye Kole Tang. He loves to eat algae off the glass. My wife says he is blowing kisses.
April201024.jpg

These are my 2 Anthius'. Patty and Selma had a man but he didn't make it. He had NTMDS (new tank mysterious death syndrome) and passed after about 5 days in the 125. These 2 were very shy but now like to hang out towards the front and watch for food.
April201027.jpg

This was the only tank shot that came out ok. I had to use a flash because of the reflections from the afternoon sun on the windows. The tank is in my 'dining' room.
April201029.jpg

Everyone say hello to Mouth. He will eat anything. God forbid a hermit changes it's shell in front of him. He is very good at grabbing pods that come too close. He is usually found perched on this struggling elegance coral that sits right in from of a hole he uses as a burrow.
April20103.jpg

This is Sonny. He is a little weird but he love his home and does give Cher the occasional twitch every now and again. I have no idea his age but he is about half as big as Cher.
April201031.jpg

This is an acan colony I bough a while back. It has doubled in size in about a year. Too bad you can only see half of them from the front.
April201033.jpg

These were actually a hitch hiker paly that I got on a frag. I call them 'Granny Smiths'.
April201034.jpg

Felix watching out for thugs and muggers.
April201035.jpg

One of three hermits of this coloration. Hermits live a lot longer than I thought. I have had a scarlet for the entire time I've been in the hobby. That's only 2.6 years. But still!
April201036.jpg

This is Bilbo. He loves to make hobbit holes and I never know where he will be next. I took this close up shot since he was so close to the side of the tank and noticed his skin looks diseased. I hope he is ok.
April20108.jpg

This is one of the 3 stooges. I have no idea why these fish are so touchy. I have bought about 15 of the fish to wind up with 3.
April20109.jpg

Well there it is a few current shots. Maybe this weekend I will get a chance to take some evening shots so I can share my whole tank at once. I hope you enjoyed!

Nice thread, I always appreciate someone who knows the personality of their fishes and names them (by the way, I love the name "Arson" for the Flame Angel. Very creative.) Better yet, you're very well spoken (or typed? lol). It makes reading your thread really fun.
I really loved the final stage of your BC29, but bigger is almost always better in this hobby! Keep us updated. You take awesome pictures and your tank looks amazing!

Big Jay

Thanks for all the compliments! I do enjoy watching the fish. It's kinda like watching a camp fire, you just get sucked in.

I did some cleaning this morning. I need to go down to the store and get some food and a supplements. That was random... and I don't even tweet.

I'm hoping by the end of the summer I will be able to build a new sump. I want a better refugium and a better way to mechanically filter the water.

Thanks again!

essmaker

PREMIUM
That is a great story to read through.

Did you enter any of those pics into the contest? You should if you haven't.

Big Jay

Thanks everyone!
That is a great story to read through.

Did you enter any of those pics into the contest? You should if you haven't.
I did enter a photo that I took while my BC29 was still up and running. It's "top down" shots this month and I would have a really hard time taking top down shots in the 125.

Speaking of photos, I took another 500 shots today. I actually got some pretty good FTS shots to share too. I have been playing with the DSLR trying to get the best shots and I'm getting better. Taking shot with out a flash is a pain but 1 out of 50 seem to come out ok. The colors are closer to what you would actually see with the naked eye.

DSC_0419.jpg

DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0426.jpg

My GBTA without BTs.
DSC_0447.jpg

2 tiny mouths
DSC_0461.jpg

She must be getting old. I can see wrinkles.
DSC_0554.jpg

Shade tree for the percs.
DSC_0577.jpg

Eye see you.
DSC_0724.jpg

GRRRRR!!!
DSC_0737.jpg

Nibblets givin the camera some smooches.
DSC_0757.jpg

2 of the stooges.
DSC_0771.jpg

Arson, it's so hard to get pictures of this fish.
DSC_0792.jpg

Flash! Paparazzi!
DSC_0797.jpg

Felix and Oscar
DSC_0825.jpg

Must be a Broncos fan.
DSC_0832.jpg

I love the acans.
DSC_0846.jpg

Duncans.
DSC_0848.jpg

Pink tips for everyone!
DSC_0857.jpg

Mouth, fully exposed.
DSC_0860.jpg

wow amazing pictures! I don't know how you get such good closeups of your fish! Lol you said it was hard to get a pic of the Flame Angel... I thought it was impossible to get my six-line! I don't know how you did it! Those things are sooooo fast! I really like in your FTS, that bridge of LR that's just covered in Palys. That's so neat.

LPK

Really beautiful tank with a great chronicle! Would you please tell me why you chose to get rid of the black sand?

Big Jay

Really beautiful tank with a great chronicle! Would you please tell me why you chose to get rid of the black sand?

I don't dose my top off water with KALK or any buffer. Most aragonite sands have natural buffering properties that help maintain the pH of the water in the tank. I have read that people that use buffers or KALK in their topoff water or calcium reactors do have this problem. I found the the "Tahitian Black Moon Sand" was much similar to having a bare bottom tank. My pH was lower(7.7-8.0) than it should be(8.1-8.4) and I became tired of adding buffer to keep the pH up.

Big Jay

wow amazing pictures! I don't know how you get such good closeups of your fish! Lol you said it was hard to get a pic of the Flame Angel... I thought it was impossible to get my six-line! I don't know how you did it! Those things are sooooo fast! I really like in your FTS, that bridge of LR that's just covered in Palys. That's so neat.
Thanks for the kind words. There are a couple of technique that I have worked through when it comes to photography.

My Sony DSC-W230 point and shoot has a 'underwater' setting that has a pretty good AUTO filter for the blue color of the tank. The PAS (point and shot) is good for quick shots and with the addition of a magnifying glass held over the lens it does a pretty good job of MACRO shots. My PAS has 12mp capability. The cool part about this is you can simply crop out the good stuff.

My Nikon D5000 DSLR camera is a little picky. Although it does take good AUTO shots the do come out a pretty blue. What I have done is but the camera in M (manual) and set the ISO at 1200. I open the aperture all the way and speed the shutter up to help with things in motion. I do have to change the shutter speed with each shot because the camera tries to take darker pictures than I like. As far as the white balance goes I set the camera to florescent bulbs, Sodium Mercury. This has resulted in pictures that are pretty close to the color I would see using my naked eye. I have 14,000k Phoenix MH bulbs. I tend to use my 55mm-200mm lens and take photos from about 6 feet away. I do not use a tripod but the lens has vibration reduction (VR) built into them and it does an amazing job keeping the frame steady. This camera also shoot 12MP pictures as well as NEF RAW photos as well. The NEF format needs a special reader for my computer and for Photoshop. I adjust the brightness of all my pictures and usually crop them as well.

LPK

I don't dose my top off water with KALK or any buffer. Most aragonite sands have natural buffering properties that help maintain the pH of the water in the tank. I have read that people that use buffers or KALK in their topoff water or calcium reactors do have this problem. I found the the "Tahitian Black Moon Sand" was much similar to having a bare bottom tank. My pH was lower(7.7-8.0) than it should be(8.1-8.4) and I became tired of adding buffer to keep the pH up.

I guess that explains why I'm going crazy with water changes and maintenance! Time for white sand! :surrender:

Big Jay

tank looks great Filix is so cool whered you get him
I got Felix and Oscar as a pair from a LFS. I really want to get another pistol for my Orange spot goby (Mouth).

On a side note, I built an under-sand homing complex for the fish today. I didn't take any pictures but I will give a brief description.

I took some 3/4" PVC elbows, t's and crosses and made a grid. There are three entrances to the grid. I used epoxy putty to glue some smashed up LR to the mouths of each entrance. It gave the entrances a very natural look. Mouth took to it right away. But he has never had a problem diving into ANY hole he sees. The purple firefish didn't want anything to do with it and I actually found the little guy attempting to dig out it's buried burrow. I buried it while covering up the complex. I don't know where he is going to sleep tonight. The hope is that Bilbo (my BSJF) will take up residence and stop digging random holes in my sand. Bilbo just can't quite find the right place. Maybe this will help. I go plan on getting another pistol and the hope is Mouth will take it under his fin and feed him and call him George (Looney Toons joke).

I have also noticed an extreme amount of cleaning and courting going on between my perculas, Romeo and Juliet. Maybe they will lay some eggs. Not that I have any interest in rearing the fry but it would still be really cool.

I also saw a crab that must have come in on some of the used LR I purchased. It looks EXACTLY like my emerald crabs except it's pink. It even has pink eyes. I have only seen it once and all my corals seem normal so that's a plus. I saw it one night while looking for Bilbo. It was in Bilbo's current hole of choice. This crab is a little bigger than my emeralds (nickel size) and I would say the carapace is about the size of a quarter.

Thanks for reading my rambling, happy reefing!

Big Jay

It's a few days since my last post. Nothing has happened that has bummed me out so that's good. Bilbo continues to jump from hole to hole. Never quiet happy I guess. The other gobies love the pvc complex I built. I'm going to attempt to block a few holes off so when I do get a new pistol shrimp it will be easier to get Mouth to pair up with it. There is no way on earth I could ever catch Mouth unless I pull the complex out with him in it. Pain in the butt.

I also built a Turf Algal Scrubber. Kind of an experiment. It only cost me about $25 and $20 of it is in lights. I can always use those somewhere else if I want. I'm going to give it a go for a few months and see what happens. I plan on skimming less after the first month and documenting growth and waste numbers. I will feed the same and continue with my bi-monthly water changes.

Happy Reefing!