125 gal and lionfish, and a tank mate?

Annie742

Well I'm back again :)
I still have my two other tanks, but I found a great deal on a RR 125 on Craigslist woot! I tore my 90 gal down, but still have my 75 up and running with my freshwater angels.

I have my new used 125 up, cycled and just waiting of fish. I have a black lion fish on order from my LFS :)

Now on to my question lol. I know with the lion fish i wont have much room for anything else, but if there is room what would you advise for a tank mate? I already have my cleanup crew like snails and crabs.

I have been reading up about them and tank mates, but it seems they will either get bullied or they will eat tank mates LOL. Unless i got a huge fish to put in with it, but I know I can't do that because of the size of the tank.

Soooo, is there room for a tank mate or no? If so what would you suggest? Either way, I will heed your advise lol. But a girl can't help but ask LOL.

knapp870

Congrats on the new addition! Welcome to the lionfish family! :) One of the biggest things to consider when choosing the Lion's tank mates is the size of the lion. The lion is capable of eating any fish smaller than him. Therefore it is important to introduce fish of the same size into the aquarium and fish that the lion will not outgrow. Currently, I have a mandarine goby and a clownfish with my lion. However, I know this will need to change as the mandarine will eventually be a tasty morsel. But, currently he is too large for the lion. I would expect that larger clowns with an anemone(if you desire) would be acceptable. Also, some larger tangs, etc. However, puffers have been known to bully or peck at lions. Its important to remember that even though they have venomous spines, they can still be bullied by other fish.

I have a 55 FOWLR with a 10inch lion, a 5inch maroon clown, two moray eels, one 8 inch porcupine puffer, and a 4 inch Humu trigger fish, and they all do fine

BigFish11

The only problem with an eel and a lion is sometime with eels you have to target feed them, if you do that you must keep your eyes on your lion so you dont get pricked. It hurts, a lot!!!

Lions usually get along with everything, i have learned they are great with anything they cant put in their mouth. However, i had a damsil in there with him and im pretty sure the damsil beat him up a couple times. This was the only fish that i ever rooted for to get eaten.

My tank in college i had a lion a puffer a eel and a yellow tang, everyone got along great

My dad has a 12" lionfish in a 125 gallon in our living room, with a L 9"naso tang, 3.5" saddleback clown (had pair the lion fish got hungry and ate the male) a 2 inch blue damsel 13" snowflake eel, and a L yellow tang. Everything has been peaceful in the tank for 9 months now? He feeds the lion dried shrimp and lucky occasions/holidays livefish. I honestly feed bad for the tang because its grown sooo fast and is soooo big now. I tell my dad we sell him to someone who has a HUGE tank so he can grow more. but my dad has had him for years (same as lion) and the thing is so smart its hard to part. Lions don't swim much maybe leaves his spot every 20 minutes to do a lap then back to the same spot in the front of the tank =]

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00440.jpg

at PEACE! of coarse the blue damsel is no where near the lion fish

DSC00356.jpg