120g Data Call - Lighting Question

KMP

I have a question regarding lighting. I know watts per gallon is not an all inclusive measurement; but it's a base line comparison which is what I'm intersted in.

I'm getting ready to step up to a 65g (interim to the 120g plunge) which has a dimension of 36x18x24. I will need lights, but do not want to buy lights twice (for the final upgrade). My thought is to get something similar to the Aquamedic 36" w/2 250w metal halides and 2/36w T5s. While on the 65g tank I'll just pull out one 250w metal halide bulb which will give me 5.3w per gallon and later when I upgrade to a 120g I can transfer the light over, put in the other bulb which will give 5w per gallon.

So my question is; given your set up (120g plus), what is your watts per gallon and what type of corals do you keep?

Thanks.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I have 2 x 250 watt MH plus 2 x 96 watt PC (soon to be T5). With this lighting, I am able to keep any type of coral/clam I want. I currently keep a LPS/softie dominated system with a few anemones.

KMP

thanks woodstock.

does anyone forsee issues w/pulling one bulb out? other than being brighter on one side than the other?

aquaman3680

Not really, it can be a good thing because some corals don't like as much light so you could put them on the darker side. Just a thought, I know that I have had a couple corals die due to too much light.

Matt

prow

i have 6X80watt T5's running on 2 icecap 660 ballasts. i can keep any coral i want. now i have acro's, monti's, clams, pilo's ect...for your lights what your thinking is fine but why not go with a retrofit easy to set up on a hanger or DIY hood and much easier to switch up to another tank. something to think about anyway.