10k bulb experience

Kensn

I am currently running XM 10k 250watt single end bulbs. I am in need of new bulbs and was wondering if anyone has any experience with other 10k bulbs.

I know this is going to be tough, but if someone has experimented with different brands and could give me their feedback, that would be really nice.

All comments and hijacking of thread are welcome….:crown:

cracker

Kensn, I have a "little" experience with several brands of 10K bulbs. I recently aquired a couple XM's & Coralvues. I had SPS bulbs on hand. Out of the 3 brands the Coralvues seem to be the most blue. The Xm's the most white in color. The SPS was in the middle. I was surprised by the difference in color between brands. I will try a 14K bulb in the future.

Kensn

Cracker,

Thank you very much for your input. That is good information for me. My RBTAs like the brighter "white" light and I do supplement.

Ok ..so whats everybody up to???

framerguy

At midnight we should be asleep...but I'm not. I was using 10K bulbs, then switched to 15K bulbs Reef Grow and REALLY like the difference. I would think that 14K would be great also.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hi Ken :hallo:

I used SE 250 XM 10k bulbs for a long time but switched to Coralvue Reeflux 10ks about a year ago. I still get good growth but I really like the color much better on the Reeflux's. Here is a thread where I show the difference in the two: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/18106-reeflux-10k-vs-xm-10k.html

With all that said, I hear rave reveiws from those that are using the German Megachrome 12.5 k (aka: 14k bulb).

Kensn

Howdy Doni **Tips hat** :wave: :whstlr:

Thank you so much for the link. To tell you the truth I looked for previous threads, but with my lame search techniques, was not able to find one.

I think I will give the Coralvue Reeflux a spin this time around. Your thread was excellent, of course, and was the scale tipper for me.

It is such a pleasure to see you again….

reef_only

I search online (including ebay) and saw the price range for MH bulb is huge, which varies as low as $15 to $100+; even though I know what you paid what you got but how should I pick the bulb to buy? anything stands out as best buy?

Kensn

You should cater your lighting to the needs of your inhabitants, then to your personal taste of how you want your tank to look.

It even gets more complicated as bulbs will display different color characteristics depending on which ballast is used with it.

But in general, I would stay away from any deal that sounds to god to be true.

Once you know what you are leaning to as far as spectrum is concerned, ask around.