1000 Watt Mh-$100---?

fishheads

SHOULD I GET SOME METAL HALIDES THAT I HAVE FOUND ON CRAIGSLIST...THE GUY SAYS THEY WERE USED FOR ABOUT 88 HOURS...IS THIS GOOD AS FAR AS LIGHTING GOES.....THE PRICE IS EXCEPTIONAL.....JUST WORRIED ABOUT THE HRS...HOW LONG ARE THEY NORMALY GOOD FOR...THIS PRICE INCLUDES BALLAST,BULBS,FIXTURE.....THE BULBS ARE WORTH A $100....HES ASKING $100 FOR COMPLETE SETUP:black:

burning2nd

well, at least you will know that your 1000watter, will heat that room good for sure....

at least you wound have to worrie about heating some of the house..

Witfull

he wasnt growing corals with that light~

unless you have a tank 36"+ deep....save your money.

SueT

what kind of corals are you keeping?? I kind of think of 1000w halides as overkill. Unless it's a deep 36" tank or so. 400w would be more inline I would think. I have a friend that has a 210g sps tank and he only uses 1 1000w halide over it. 2 over a 110g??

fishheads

i have allways been afraid of having the high light animals....i take failure like a kick in the b@lls....because i loose money that i didnt need to spend in the first place......but..this is an addiction so i get my fix no matter what....i was really wanting to do some nice acros....all i have is med to low light animals...i have 3x175 MH,2X160VHO ACTINICS....THAT ARE CURRENTLY ON MY TANK......I HAVE A 250w HQI MH,& A 175 MH...I WAS SAVING THEM FOR ANOTHER TANK....WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST......so even though its a great deal dont get them........what if i just rubbed sunblock on all my corals

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I have a friend that has a 210g sps tank and he only uses 1 1000w halide over it. 2 over a 110g??

I also know an LFS owner who uses a 1000w bulb over a very large tank but it's suspended several feet above the tank. IMHO you'll have serious photoinibition problems with your corals using that amount of light over your tank even the most light demanding !

fishheads

so i know your supposed to have a minimum of 5 or 6 watts per gallon...kinda rule of thumb,for power compact lighting..how do you figure that with MH....isnt it rated as more watts per gallon........3x175=525mh 2x165=330vho total=855 divide 110=7.77 watts per gal.........how many more watts would i add to the metal halide.......

Witfull

,,,throw that rule away!! its not watts,,,its intensity another issue with high power lighting is they need to be farther form the water surface, if its a pendant you will light up the room and blind yourself. if in a canopy,,,,severe heat issues.

but if youre dead set on getting them,,,the money you will save, spend on a chiller and monthy elec bill.

burning2nd

intensity, penatraion, Lumes.

you could use the 1000 watts for good....

a single 100watt with a few small t5's will give you the abilty to do what ever you want... but your room is gonna be hot... the 1000watt MH bulb runs loud, its gonna put off a lot of heat, and as said above could raise your water temp to the point where you could need a chiller...

but if the deal is right i would bight.... you could always use the lights to grow something else.. (outta the tank) LOL

but really 1000watts will look funky a super bright spot in the middle. and darker sides......

2 250's and 3 or 4 150 (175's) will spread out better......

fishheads

i have on there now 3x 175 mh across with 2x165watt vho actinic 72 in. long that i run with the MH's.its very noisy...plus 2 big fans for cooling.....is this sufficient for acro's.....and sps