100+ tiny snails materializing out of thin air... er... water

Lee

Strangest thing. I'm rapidly approaching a year in the hobby, and I've always had a handful (5 or so) of these tiny little baby snails in my tank. They are very small, only 1-2 cm across maximum, and they are usually very few in numbers.

So tonight when I was feeding my fish, I noticed that there are literally over a hundred of these little suckers! They just materialized out of thin air! There are at least 10 of them visible on each rock, all moving around! And I have over 100 lbs of rock!

What could be causing this massive clean up crew spawn? I just recently set up an RO/DI unit, so my water is a lot better, but this is crazy! Maybe its that $11.99 Mysis shrimp that I bought yesterday...

lcstorc

Any chance of a pic or a good description? My first thought is stomatella snails but that could be completely off.

Warnberg

If those are the one's no worries, they are good for the tank, part of the cleanup crew... the only issue with them is they are small, stay small and can get into powerheads, pumps, etc....

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Lee said:
Thats definitely them. They're everywhere!

If you quote him and copy/paste the link it works. Looks like RS changes the link destination when you click it

Nope. It's not Reef Sanctuary. RC blocks it. They do not allow "hot linking" their photos (.jpg) from other sites.

Lee

I have a zillion of those too. Just popped up one day. Mostly come out at night.

Yep, thats it. I figured it out today when I couldn't find more than a handful of them. They hide in the cracks and crevices of the rocks during the day, and at night, they come out in full force. Crazy I never noticed them before! There are literally probably 150+

So they don't get any bigger than that? I was hoping I just scored a free CUC