10 gallon nano questions

bookwyrm

Hi everyone, I'm new, so let me apologize in advance if I ask any obvious questions. I posted this on another reef forum, but no one will respond to me, so I'm looking for a more newbie friendly place. I have a lot of experience with high tech freshwater planted aquariums, but am interested in branching out into reef tanks. I know that they say it's better to start with a larger aquarium, but I never like to go the easy way, and I have a 10 gallon sitting around. Cost wise, it's possible for me to turn this into a reef tank, but turning one of my larger tanks into one isn't going to happen at this point. I've been doing a lot of research, and I think I can pull this off, but I want to run my plan past some experienced people and see what they think. I haven't set anything up yet, this is just my planned setup.

Standard 10 gallon tank 20x10x12
Lighting to be determined
10-15 lbs of live sand
10 lbs live rock
Aquaclear 70 or 110 converted to refugium
Heater hopefully small enough to fit in the AC
RO/DI water will be used

I have two main questions at this point. I'd like to mostly focus on soft corals, and maybe some LPS. This brings me to the lighting question, since I have a few options, and I'm not sure which one would be the best.

Option 1: My LFS sells a 20" compact flourescent fixture that is 2x36 watts. It looks very similar to a Coralife fixture to me, but it's not labeled as one. Pros: It's the right size for the tank, if we go by the WPG rule (I know it's inaccurate, but it's the best I have to work with ATM) then I have a good mid range at 7.2 WPG. It's also only $100, and I could get it locally. Cons: My bulb selection would basically be limited to 10K and whatever the particular bulb manufacturer thinks is "actinic." Also, I suspect it might get hot, as I've used CFL fixtures before.

Option 2: A 20" T5 fixture. As far as I can find, there are only two brands that make these, Current and Aquatic Life. Current only makes two vareties - a 2 bulb and a 6 bulb. I've seen some good examples of reef tanks using only the 2 bulb fixture, some even growing SPS at the top. I know from my experience with planted aquariums that T5 lights give off a lot more light than their watts would suggest. I definitely feel that 6 bulbs would be way too much for this size tank, am I wrong in that? If I got the two bulb fixture, pros would be cost and low heat, cons would be only 2 bulbs to play with (color combo wise) and limited selection of bulbs that will fit a 20" T5 fixture, because only Current and Aquatic Life make replacement bulbs. For the Aquatic Life fixture, pros would be 4 bulbs to play with and a built in timer, cons would again be the limited bulb brand selection, cost (doable, but definitely more expensive than any other option), and concerns over whether or not 4 T5 bulbs would be too much light for my needs.

Option 3: A 24" T5 light fixture. These are much more common, and if I went this route I'd probably go with a 4 bulb fixture. Although 2 bulbs are available in most brands, if I was going 2 bulb I'd probably just go with the 20" Current fixture since I wouldn't have many bulbs to experiment with anyway. I could again go for an Aquatic Life fixture with a built in timer for only about $10 more than their 20" fixture, but I would also have several other brand options. Pros: Infinitely greater bulb selection, low heat, etc. Cons: Questions about too much light again, and whether or not the fact that the fixture would be 4" longer than the tank would cause problems.

Option 4: Coralife CFL 96 watt fixture. Pros: The perfect size for the tank, good cost, also seen many examples of this being used on 10 gallon tanks. Cons: Questions about heat issues and the potential for too much light for what I'm growing, being forever limited to Coralife's 50/50 combo bulb.

Any thoughts or advice on my lighting dillemma?

My next question is about the Aquaclear refugium. I've seen examples of both AC 70's and 110's being used on 10 gallon tanks. I was going to post a link to an example, but I can't post links yet. Whichever I use, I hope to use it as the only source of circulation in the tank and that I can fit the heater in it, like in many of the examples I've seen. My LFS owner thinks a 110 would be overkill, but recommends a 70, but I've learned not to necessarily listen to his advice in all things. Is there much of a notable difference between using the 70 and the 110? Does the 70 provide enough room and flow? I know that people who mode the 70 often switch out the impeller for a smaller model, but people who use the 110 can't and don't yet still have success, so I'm a little confused. I can do either one, I'm just not sure which is better for my situation. Also, is chaeto the only thing I should put in this kind of refugium, or should I also put live rock rubble or refugium mud in it?

Thanks for any help you can give to a confused reef newbie!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Take a look at this link... and the light requirements for some of the different corals & give us an idea of what corals you are hoping to keep.

null - ASIRA

I am sure some members then can give you a great recommendation.

bookwyrm

I'm thinking of zoanthids, mushrooms and maybe some green star polyps at this point. Maybe eventually some montipora, but not necessarily and I definitely wouldn't start out with that. Does that help?

Uslanja

Hi bookwyrm! We started our nano experience with a 10 gallon and a couple of 10 watt corallife screw in 50/50 bulbs in the low end plastic canopy that it came with. As well the AC110 makes an excellent fuge and there is room to place a small heater. However, we have since become proponents of the "more light is better" crowd and absolutely love our AquaticLife fixture.

And by the way; Welcome To Reef Sanctuary!

QuentinB

I've actually got a 20 x-high that I had planned on making into a reef until we decided on getting a nano cube. The cool thing is, the footprint is the same as a 10g. The worst part of a tank with this length, I think, is the fact that it's hard to come by good 20" fixtures. And the ones out there are not much cheaper than their larger counterparts. That's one of the biggest reasons we went with the 28.

If/when I do set it up, I'll probably use a viper or other clip-on metal halide. I think shrooms aren't fond of metal halides, though, so it might not be your best option. I just have a deeper tank.

To answer your question, what I found when I was researching, Aquatic Life makes an awesome 20" fixture. Lots of people use that same Coralife fixture and don't seem to have problems with it(besides the 96w quad bulb being like $50, I think.) As far as your option 1 goes, with the no-name fixture, I'd say stay away from it. I'm all for saving money by buying generic items, but sometimes with the name comes customer service and warranties. In the end, I think you need to evaluate what you're spending for what you're getting, and how that fixture will work for you. I always thought that a 24" fixture would look a little tacky on a 20" tank, but I could be wrong.

And for question two: I would go with the 110. I don't know what link you were going to post, but the one that comes to my mind is on another forum, and it might be on here, too, but if you can't find it PM me, I'll point you in the right direction. Anyway, on that other forum, there is a DIY thread where a guy used a 110 on a minibow(not sure on the size, but I'm fairly certain it was smaller than a 10). The cool thing about aquaclear filters is that you can adjust the flow if you need, to an extent, and there are also other little tricks to back it down some(different impeller, trimming a small tab, to start things off). Plus you get the size, which is just about big enough for a small protein skimmer I believe, maybe the biocube one... or another DIY project. Anyway, yes, a 110 could be overkill, if you ran it full force. But if you research your project and do it right, you'll be fine.

OH! And welcome to RS! Where other people make mistakes for your benefit! :D If you haven't found them, there's a pretty decent DIY section in the equipment forum, and it always helps to read over other people's chronicles to see what they did, or are doing. Either way, the search function here is your friend. If you don't get the results you want, I've found that you can google your keywords and add "reef sanctuary" at the end. I've found that there's not a whole lot that hasn't been covered on here, but by all means, don't be afraid to come right out and ask(I think you've got that part down though). And finally, not that this should be moved, but there is a beginner's forum, and it's usually patrolled by some of our more experienced minds available here, so you might get better answers for questions like this there. Good luck!

BLAKEJOHN

10-15 lbs of Live rock,
Sand is optional but dont waste the $$$ on live sand. Dry sand will become live in time.
The ac110 is fine (converted to a fuge)
Add a korillia nano power head to radomize the flow.
T-5's for lighting with whatever fixture you want.
heater if needed

blow rocks off with turkey baster and perform 50% water changes weekly
top off water twice daily at least ( just a cup or two of evaporation will throw params out of wack).

Thats it in a nutshell. Keep it simple.

bookwyrm

Thanks for all the advice, you guys have been very helpful already. I saw there was a beginners forum, but I wasn't sure whether it was better to post my question there or here. I have some other questions, but I'll ask them in the beginner's forum. I'll probably go with the Aquatic Life fixture or the Coralife, but I haven't quite decided yet. I don't want to go the MH route because I have concerns about heat. It wouldn't be an issue in the winter, but it gets pretty warm in my house in the summer and I want to avoid a chiller if possible.

DEO glass

i know its kinda an expensive route to take, but u can always do LED..ive seen some nice fixtures for cheap on ebay.... alot less heat then MH and they are super bright...my 10g nano has nothing but a single 50/50 reef sun bulb ( been this way for abt 3 yrs) and my softies grow like weeds...biggest thing that i can say with nanos is WATER CHANGES...(and tops off). also keep your lights on a timer, avoid the headache of trying to calculate hours like i did.... i use 2 AC 20 HOB with a 50w heater.... never had a need to make a fuge, although ive seen the modified ones you are talking about...not really necessary IMO unless you wanna keep certain livestock. and even so, there are a lot better ways to make a DIY fuge......if you were ganna take that route i wud use cheato and LR..... if you keep up on your water changes and top offs you should be able to get away with minimal work tho.. nanos can be a pain, but the experiance is extremely rewarding...
good luck.... drop a line if u need any help....