10 gal office tank?

Snelly40

hey guys, im thinking about putting a small 10 gal tank in my office.
i plan on keeping it simple, some LS and LR and a goby/pistol combo and maybe some easy to care for corals.

my question is about filtration. i have no filters set up, but with some snails and live rock and live sand and of course regular water changes, do u think i'll need more filtration???
if so how should u do it?
thanks

Snelly40

anyone, i think i would be ok with frequent water changes and may add a small skimmer, there is room on the back of it

DeepBlue

Hi Snelly,

You could look at getting an inexpensive but efficient skimmer like the Seaclone 100 for your tank. It is a HOT skimmer and is really efficient for smaller volume tanks. For filtration, you may want to add something like a biowheel just so you have some sort of mechanical filtration.

DeepBlue

They aren't so bad if you replace the cartridges regularly. Several years ago when I had a small 20 gallon tank, I had used one and didn't really see any major nitrates because I did replace the cartridges. Make sure though that it is a Penguin model as those seemed to perform better. The skimmer will help alot though.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Skimmer, live rock and sand would work!

...with a small powerhead for circulation :)

Gibeon

Check out Corallimorph's gallery. He has an awesome 10Gal tank. I believe for filtration he uses the large tetratec HOB filter with the filter media replace with live rock.

I had a 10Gal in my office for about 8 or 9 months (until I was laid off a couple weeks ago) and it worked well with two small internal canister filters (like a Fluval 1Plus) in which I used carbon and/or purigen. Plus weekly water changes were definitely a necessity. Even at 25% water changes weekly, I still had a bit of a cyano problem, but I def. overfed.

If I had not been laid off, I likely would have switched to the Tetratec, as it has an optional heater module that goes in the filter and will definitely give the tank a "cleaner" look.

Snelly40

oh yeah, i plan on a small skimmer, and a powerhead, maxijet 900 or maybe something smaller in size but wuith the same GPH

Snelly40

hey guys,,, if i buy 2 small clowns will they become a mated pair if added at the same time?
or should i buy one medium sized and one small?

burning2nd

Picture3001895.jpg

my and the lady friend, put this together the other day,

even tho im just going thur the cycle, im thinking now. that i could have probly got away with just LR filtartion,

something that small really if you have enough LR, and proper Wc you will do more then enough,
The filer will probly just mess me up,

and as for a skimmer, for a nano, i havent found anything that looks like it wont be equal to seaclone

also, if you plan on haveing fish it will make the task of keepin the tank clean harder.

we are just doing coarl only, with a few snails..... should be eazy... at least it sounds that way on paper

Elmo18

Hi there. I would run a small HOB filter, like a Tetra or a AquaClear 20/MINI, with nothing in them except for a bag of carbon.

Doesn't hurt to use carbon 24/7 on such a small tank, and the added little flow helps.

Best,
Ilham

spanglish

The whole concept of a small tank at work is awesome.
I really like the little picotrope and other brand micro nano's.
They always look so cool at LFS, but I'm a skeptic about how
clean I could keepit.

mtfish

Hi, I have a 10g nano and have an ac70 HOB on the back and a mj-600 with a hydor rotating wavemaker thing (because I can't remember the actual name of it ;) ) I had a penguin 660 or somthing in there too but it was too much flow everything was being blown all over. I think the AC and the MJ give it more than enough flow.

I don't have a skimmer on it but would if A) I had the $$$ and B) could fit it. but I find that weekly 30% (ish) WC are good enough. The main thing is not to over feed in a tank this size. I learned the hard way with a hair algae outbreak.

I'd stay away from the DSB that I saw mentioned earlier because every inch of sand is roughly .9 gallons (in a 10g tank) less water you have in a already limited space, then factor in the LR and your 10g tank is really pushing the 5-6 gallons of water. Again I feel that the weekly water changes take care of any nutrient buildup that a DSB would help with.

I would add some macro algae, like Chaetomorpha in the AC filter with some LR there too. Oh a small heater fits in the AC too. If you are so inclined here is a link to my 10g nano in my kitchen. I haven't updated it in a while. I just got some more coral so I was going to do that tonight but couldn't find the camera, but thats another story for another thread... If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

pirataman

Weeepaa!!!!

I got an 2.5 gal office tank 8 month old custom made, marineland bio wheel filtration, 20w PC day/act bulb, no skimmer 2 red mangrove for live rock, live sand from my 150 gal., sun coral, 3 feather dusters, encrusting gorg, 1 green mush., 1 banded shrimp & geting a little colt coral. water changes every 4 days about 20oz. & I yust build another see it in the gallery!!!!!!!!!:hallo: